An APEGA Permit to Practice allows companies to practise engineering and geoscience in Alberta. One of the requirements of a Permit to Practice is having an APEGA professional member as the company’s Responsible Member.
The Responsible Member must be an active APEGA licensed professional (professional member, professional licensee, or licensee) in good standing.
APEGA requires that companies have at least one Responsible Member for each profession that they are practicing (i.e., one for engineering and one for geoscience, if the company has a permit for both professions).
APEGA recommends that a company have at least one Responsible Member for:
- each geographical region
- roughly every 10 APEGA members (including members-in-training)
The Responsible Member:
- provides overall direction and is responsible for the quality control program under which members practise the professions of engineering and geoscience
- provides direction to, and personal supervision of, the engineering and geoscience practices performed on behalf of the company
- regulates the practices within the company and is aware of the legal obligations and any legislative changes
- works with the company chief operating officer to create a Professional Practice Management Plan
- holds a position of authority to ensure any practice occurring on behalf of the company meets APEGA’s ethical, professional, and technical standards
- validates authenticated documents
Adding a Responsible Member
If you have been designated as a Responsible Member, the designating company must add you through their myAPEGA account. Only the COO and those designated to make manage members for the permit can add Responsible Members in the myAPEGA portal.
Once the company has added you, you will be notified through your individual myAPEGA account and will be required to complete the Responsible Member declaration form in myAPEGA.
Permit to Practice Stamps
If you are a Responsible Member and wish to have a physical permit to practice stamp or an electronic image of a permit to practice stamp created, you may do so through our current stamp supplier, Royal Rubber Stamp & Sign Co. through their website or calling 1-800-272-8859. For questions, please email [email protected].
Permit to Practice Seminars
Responsible Members (RMs) must complete the Permit to Practice seminar:
- within six months of being approved as an RM, unless they have already taken the seminar within the last 5 years
- within five years of the their last seminar date as documented in APEGA’s records
APEGA offers the Permit to Practice seminar in two formats:
- self-directed learning module
- facilitated live webinar