Apply for a Company Permit to Practice


Any company that engages in the practice of engineering or geoscience in Alberta as part of its business must have a Permit to Practice with APEGA and must be registered in the province under the Alberta Business Corporations Act Information regarding the registration of out-of-province corporations can be found on the Service Alberta website, or you can phone them at 780-427-7013 or email [email protected].

If a parent company or joint-venture group has a Permit to Practice, any subsidiary of that company that performs engineering or geoscience must also have a Permit to Practice if the subsidiary is a separate entity with a name that is clearly different from the parent company or joint-venture group.

A member practising as a sole proprietor does not need a Permit to Practice because the member's APEGA licence grants a sole proprietor the right to independently practise engineering or geoscience. A sole proprietor is a business not registered as a corporation with Service Alberta and for which there is no legal distinction between the individual and the business.


To apply for a Permit to Practice from APEGA, complete the application form below and submit to [email protected]. You can also mail in your application to our Permits Coordinator in our Edmonton office. Once received, it should take about 2 weeks to process the application.


New application: $495.25

These prices do not include GST and are subject to change. Application fees are non-refundable.

Joint Engineering & Architecture Companies

If your company offers architectural and engineering services, you must apply for approval by a joint board. The joint board is made up of people from APEGA and the Alberta Association of Architects to ensure competency and ethical practice. To obtain a AAA Joint Permit, email [email protected].

Submission and Payment Methods

  1. Pay by credit card: Submit your completed application and all required supporting documentation to [email protected]. Once received, we will email you the credit card payment instructions. Please wait for the payment instruction email before making payment. Do not email or mail your credit card information to APEGA
  2. Pay by cheque: You can mail a cheque (issued to "Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta") with the completed application and all required supporting documentation to:

Attention: Professional Practice Department
1500 Scotia Place
10060 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 4A2

Please ensure your member number is written on the cheque.

As part of the application, the following information is collected:

  • Company contact information
  • Company areas of practice
  • Company business structure
  • Chief Operating Officer contact information
  • Chief Operating Officer declaration
  • Human Resources contact information
  • APEGA members associated with permit
  • Adding Responsible Members
  • Responsible Member Declaration
  • Responsible Members of multiple permit holders
  • Application payment information
  • Alberta Certificate of Incorporation/Certificate of Amendment

The application must be completed and signed, including a signed Chief Operating Officer declaration, signed declarations for all Responsible Members, and proof of incorporation documents.

If approved, APEGA will mail you a permit number and certificate. Display the certificate on the company premises where the public can see it. APEGA will add the company name to the company directory. Permit certificates are the property of APEGA and must be returned to APEGA if the company ceases to hold an active APEGA Permit to Practice.



After receiving a Permit to Practice, the permit holder must understand its obligations regarding each of the following items.