Member & Permit Holder Changes

It is important that members and permit holders keep their information up to date with APEGA and pay their annual dues on time.


Contact Information  Name Changes  Practice Status Changes  Changes to P.L. Scope  Cancellations & Retirements  Reinstatements M.I.T. Reinstatements

Permit Holders

Company Changes  Voluntary Cancellations  Involuntary Cancellations  Reinstatements


Contact Information

If your contact information has changed, please update your member record in the Member Self-Service Centre. You will need your member ID and account password. If you have forgotten those, you can contact APEGA.

Log in to the Member Self-Service Centre


Name Changes

If you have legally changed your name through marriage or a name change, you can request that your new name appear in our records by completing a name change form. There is no charge for this service.

You will need the following:

  • your member number
  • a copy of your marriage certificate, legal name-change certificate, or birth certificate (if returning to your birth name)

You can send an email to [email protected], or mail it to APEGA’s Edmonton office.

Download the Name Change Request Form


Practice Status Changes

If you are a professional member or licensee who is not practising engineering or geoscience, you can submit a non-practising form. This declaration is valid for one year from the date received and can be renewed for additional years. Non-practising members must continue to pay their annual dues, but they are not required to maintain their continuing professional development hours.

Note: While non-practising, you can keep your current professional title. However, you are not allowed to independently practise engineering or geoscience or be a Responsible Member in Alberta.

Download the Non-Practising Declaration Form

Resuming Practice

If you are ready to resume your practice, you must first notify APEGA by submitting a resumption form to  [email protected]Members cannot resume practice until the Practice Review Board (PRB) has approved the request.

Download the Application for Permission to Resume Practice Form


Change to Professional Licensee Defined Scope of Practice

To apply for a new Defined Scope of Practice (DSOP) you must be a current Professional Licensee registered with APEGA, and you must have a minimum of 2 years of professional level engineering/geoscience work experience in the new proposed scope under the direct supervision and control of a P.Eng. or P.Geo. 

Read about changing your DSOP


Cancellations & Retirements

Members of APEGA may voluntarily cancel their licences if they no longer practise in Alberta.

To cancel your licence, submit a voluntary cancellation form by mail to our Edmonton office or by email to [email protected]. Previous payments will not be refunded or pro-rated. 

If you want to reinstate your membership in the future, you will have to go through the membership reinstatement process. See the description below.

Retired members (no longer practising) who wish to maintain their titles and benefits can do this by continuing to pay their annual dues. Retired members may qualify for the Life Member category, which would reduce the annual dues by 75%.

Download the Voluntary Cancellation of Membership Form


Professional Members, Professional Licensees & Licensees

If your licence has been cancelled for more than seven years, you must apply for a new licence.

If your licence has been cancelled for less than seven years, either by APEGA or voluntarily by you, you must submit a  reinstatement application and all required supporting documents. All completed reinstatement applications must be approved by APEGA Council.

Your reinstatement application is complete when:

  1. The application form is filled out with all necessary information
  2. All supporting documentation is attached
  3. All required reference questionnaires have been received
  4. Payment for the application has been made

As Council only meets four times per year, it may take between three to six months for a decision to be made. You must pay a one-time, non-refundable reinstatement application fee of $411.60 ($392 plus GST of $19.60). This fee must be paid before the application can be processed.

This fee is not your annual membership dues. Your membership dues will be invoiced separately if Council approves your reinstatement application.

Download the Application for Reinstatement Form

Submission and Payment Methods

  1. Pay by credit card: Submit your completed application and all required supporting documentation to [email protected]. Once received, we will email you the credit card payment instructions. Please wait for the payment instruction email before making payment. Do not email or mail your credit card information to APEGA

  2. Pay by cheque: You can mail a cheque (issued to "Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta") with the completed reinstatement application and all required supporting documentation to:

    Attention: Professional Practice Department
    1500 Scotia Place
    10060 Jasper Avenue NW
    Edmonton, AB T5J 4A2

    Please ensure your member number is written on the cheque.

If you are a current, active professional member in another constituent association in Canada, use the inter-provincial mobility process.

Cancellation Because of CPD Program

If APEGA cancelled your licence because you did not comply with the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program, please visit the CPD webpage for more information.

Member-in-Training Reinstatement

If you have voluntarily cancelled your registration as a Member in Training or it has been cancelled by APEGA due to non-payment of annual dues, you may be eligible to reinstate your membership.  You can request to reinstate your Member in Training membership by submitting an MIT reinstatement form by email to: [email protected]

There is no time limit for reinstating your membership.  However, there is an 8 year time limit (total) on being an active member-in-training with APEGA. Once 8 years of active membership has been reached, you are unable to reinstate or extend your status as an MIT.  You might be eligible to submit an application to register as a Professional Member.

Download the Member-in-Training Application for Reinstatement Form 

Permit Holders

Company Changes

A permit holder can update its permit information with APEGA at any time. This can be done by logging into the Company Self-Service Centre (CSSC). Login information for the CSSC is shared with the Chief Operating Office (COO) on file with APEGA.

Information that can be maintained in the CSSC includes:

  • employees
  • Responsible Members
  • COO information
  • company name information
  • company contact information
  • company activities
  • human resources contact information
  • voluntary cancellation of a permit

The CSSC will also provide a live calculation of the estimated permit dues, based on the permit dues model effective July 1, 2017.

Log into the Company Self-Service Centre

Voluntary Cancellations

A company can voluntarily cancel its Permit to Practice if it:

  • is no longer engaging in the practice of engineering or geoscience in Alberta
  • has merged or been acquired by another Permit Holder
  • has been dissolved and no longer exists

Any company that does not hold an active Permit to Practice can not use a reserved word within its company name, even if it is not engaging in engineering or geoscience work. More information can be found on the Right to Practise & Title page.

To request voluntary cancellation, visit the Company Self-Service Centre.  APEGA will notify you once the cancellation has been processed. The company must return all permit certificates, stamps, and seals to APEGA.

Log in to the Company Self-Service Centre

Involuntary Cancellations

APEGA will cancel a Permit to Practice if:

  • a discipline order exists requiring the Permit to Practice be cancelled
  • the company has not paid its annual dues by its due date
  • the company does not have a designated Responsible Member
  • the company's Responsible Members have not attended the Permit to Practice seminar within five years
  • the company does not have a Chief Operating Officer (COO) associated with the permit


Any company requesting a permit reinstatement will have to submit a new permit application form and proceed through the application process. If approved, the company can use the previously assigned permit holder number.

Two payments will have to be made to APEGA. The first is a non-refundable permit reinstatement fee. Once the reinstatement is approved, the calculation for outstanding dues will be made, and these must be paid before the permit holder will be issued the permit certificate.

The permit reinstatement process can take up to one month for processing.

Download the Permit to Practice Application Form