Work Experience Requirements for Geoscience Applicants
Applicants seeking licensure as a Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) must submit their experience through the Work Experience Record (WER). This electronic form is accessible on the APEGA Member Self-Service Centre and is only available to applicants who have started a Professional Geoscientist application.
APEGA adheres to the privacy standards under the Personal Information Protection Act regarding the collection, disclosure, and use of personal information. It is the applicant's responsibility to personally complete all components of the application. APEGA does not accept third-party submissions and will only answer questions from the applicant.
The Work Experience Record
The Work Experience Record (WER) is part of your online membership application submission. It details your geoscience work experience. It is your opportunity to describe your application of technical theory and practical experience during your career.
The BOE may also give you credit for pre-graduate work experience and post-graduate work experience.
If you have fewer than 48 months of experience, you must apply to be a Member-in-Training, which does not require a WER.
If you are applying as a Professional Licensee, a specialized Work Experience Record is downloaded from the website.
Completing Your Work Experience Record
- Submit all of your geoscience-related experience for review.
- Enter your experience in reverse chronological order. Separate work periods by job title or employer—not by project.
- Identify your role, responsibility, and types of geoscience activities you performed for each role.
- Specify the types of design codes or standards you used.
- List all gaps in employment, unrelated employment, and parental leave in the summary section of the WER. Do not include detailed descriptions of the gaps. If you do not list all gaps, APEGA will contact you requesting this information. This will delay the processing of your file.
- Do not submit resumes or CVs.
- Provide at least three references who can confirm your work experience.
8. If you are providing multiple references for one position, create an additional work record for each reference.
9. Describe how you adjusted for cold temperatures in your designs, if applicable.
10. If your work experience is from outside of Canada, describe your familiarity with Canadian practices within your profession.
11. Specific requirements for post-graduate education are contained in the WER. Please follow the instructions carefully.