Apply to APEGA with Inter-Provincial Mobility (IPMA)

If you are an engineer or geoscientist in another Canadian jurisdiction and wish to work in Alberta for any duration, you must be licensed with APEGA. You can be licensed in multiple jurisdictions.

If you already hold one of the following registered titles anywhere in Canada, you may qualify for an inter-provincial mobility application:

  • Professional engineer
  • Professional geoscientist
  • Licensee (professional member who is a non-Canadian resident)
  • Member-in-Training

Professional Licensee (Limited Licensee) Interprovincial Mobility Applications follow a different application process than the above memberships. Please review the Professional Licensee (Limited Licensee) if applying.

An inter-provincial mobility application streamlines the process of jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction licensure. It enables you to apply for APEGA's equivalent designation without going through the full application process.

APEGA accepts inter-provincial mobility applications for P.Eng. and P.Geo. under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) and/or other inter-provincial trade agreements. These applications take up to 30 business days to process and approve once all necessary documentation has been received by APEGA.  Most IPMAs are processed under this timeline.

Applying for IPMA as a Member-in-Training (M.I.T.)

Engineer-in-training (E.I.T.) and geoscientist-in-training (G.I.T.) inter-provincial mobility applications:

  • will require submission of official transcripts (post-secondary degrees obtained at a Canadian university) or a WES-ICAP report (post-secondary degrees from a university outside of Canada)
  • may be subject to additional stages of examination
  • may take up to 6 months to process and review (E.I.T. or G.I.T. status in another province may not qualify for direct transfer to the same category of membership with APEGA).

Read Academic Documentation Requirements

How to Apply Under IPMA

Once you are ready to apply for Interprovincial Mobility;

You must create an account through myAPEGA

For your application to be approved, you must:

  • Already be a Professional Member, Licensee or Member-in-Training of another Canadian engineering or geoscience association
  • Be of good character and reputation
  • Be a practising member in good standing with their current association

IPMA Application Requirements

You will need the following information to apply.

  • One of the following:
    • copy of your current home association ID
    • copy of an official invoice of your annual dues (screenshots of your portal/documents are not acceptable)
    • other official documentation from your home association showing that your membership is in good standing
  • Your degree information (name of institute, degree title, year started, and year graduated)
  • Restrictions on practice documentation
  • Confirmation of exams prescribed and completed by current association
  • Confirmation of your current status if you hold a limited licence from your current association

Ineligible Applicants

APEGA will not approve your application if you are:

  • applying for a designation that is not equivalent with your current designation with your home association
  • struck as an APEGA member for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) non-compliance
  • a temporary licensee holder
  • a non-practising life member
  • a non-practising professional member

Application Fees

Summary of fees for applications for engineers and geoscientists registered in another Canadian province or territory
Application TypeFee
P.Eng. or P.Geo. $250
Professional licensee$250

These prices do not include GST and are subject to change. Application fees are non-refundable.

How to Pay Your Application Fees

The easiest and quickest way to pay is online! You can submit payment in the following ways.

Log in to myAPEGA and pay by credit card.

Visa, Mastercard, or American Express

Call 1-800-661-7020 and pay by credit card.

Visa, Mastercard, or American Express

Pay via online banking.

Payee: APEGA
Account number: your APEGA ID or Permit Number

Mail a cheque to APEGA Head Office in Edmonton.

Payable to APEGA, with your APEGA ID or Permit Number on the cheque

APEGA does not accept cash payments, and we cannot process credit card or debit payments at our offices.

Log in to myAPEGA