Apply to APEGA with Inter-Provincial Mobility (IPMA)
If you are an engineer or geoscientist in another Canadian jurisdiction and wish to work in Alberta for any duration, you must be licensed with APEGA. You can be licensed in multiple jurisdictions.
If you already hold one of the following registered titles anywhere in Canada, you may qualify for an inter-provincial mobility application:
- Professional engineer
- Professional geoscientist
- Licensee (professional member who is a non-Canadian resident)
An inter-provincial mobility application streamlines the process of jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction licensure. It enables you to apply for APEGA's equivalent designation without going through the full application process.
APEGA accepts inter-provincial mobility applications for P.Eng. and P.Geo. under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) and/or other inter-provincial trade agreements. These applications take 5-7 business days to process and approve once all necessary documentation has been received by APEGA.
Applying for IPMA as a Member-in-Training (M.I.T.)
Engineer-in-training (E.I.T.) and geoscientist-in-training (G.I.T.) inter-provincial mobility applications:
- will require submission of official transcripts (post-secondary degrees obtained at a Canadian university) or a WES-ICAP report (post-secondary degrees from a university outside of Canada)
- may be subject to additional stages of examination
- may take up to 6 months to process and review (E.I.T. or G.I.T. status in another province may not qualify for direct transfer to the same category of membership with APEGA).
How to Apply Under IPMA
Once you are ready to apply for Interprovincial Mobility;
You must create an account through myAPEGA
For your application to be approved, you must:
- Already be a Professional Member, Licensee or Member-in-Training of another Canadian engineering or geoscience association
- Be of good character and reputation
- Be a practising member in good standing with their current association
IPMA Application Requirements
You will need the following information to apply.
- One of the following:
- copy of your current home association ID
- copy of an invoice of your annual dues
- other official documentation from your home association showing that your membership is in good standing
- Your degree information (name of institute, degree title, year started, and year graduated)
- Restrictions on practice documentation
- Confirmation of exams prescribed and completed by current association
- Confirmation of your current status if you hold a limited licence from your current association
APEGA will not approve your application if you are:
- applying for a designation that is not equivalent with your current designation with your home association
- struck as an APEGA member for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) non-compliance
- a temporary licensee holder
- a non-practising life member
- a non-practising professional member