Post-Graduate Work Experience
If you are applying for a Professional Member (Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist) or Licensee licence, the APEGA Board of Examiners (BOE) may give you work experience credit if you have completed a master's degree or a PhD in engineering or geoscience.
If you are applying as a Member-in-Training or Professional Licensee, you cannot receive post-graduate work experience credit.
To request a credit, include the information in your Work Experience Record in your application or email the information to [email protected]. The review for post-graduate work experience is separate from your academic review.
Work experience credit for post-graduate degrees in engineering or geoscience:
- must be requested when you apply online
- cannot be given for more than 24 months, regardless of how many degrees you have
- will only be granted with completed post-graduate degrees
- can be given for a post-graduate degree from an accredited Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board and Mutual Recognition Agreement institution and from other institutions, at the BOE's discretion
- is only available for time spent in full-time study towards the post-graduate degree
- is only for the research portion of the program—the research portion must demonstrate significant engineering or geoscience design content
- specific requirements for post-graduate education are contained in the Work Experience Record—follow the instructions carefully
Maximum Amount of Eligible Credit
|Course-based–only master's degree||0 months credit|
|Master's degree that included a thesis or project||0-12 months credit|
|PhD that included a thesis||0-24 months credit|
To request a credit, upload the below information to your application before submitting it or email the information to [email protected].
You must submit:
- an official copy of your post-graduate transcript sent directly from your institution to APEGA
- a PDF or Word document of your title page, abstract, conclusions, and recommendations sections of your thesis or project
- a letter of recommendation from your thesis or project supervisor, written on university letterhead, and sent directly from your supervisor to APEGA
- an entry page on your Work Experience Record covering the period of your post-graduate study containing the following:
- number of months of full-time and part-time registration
- months spent on full-time research (after the completion of course work)
- other non-thesis projects, research, or duties
- title of project or thesis
- months spent writing and editing project or thesis
- a clear description of how your post-graduate experience demonstrated all 5 types of experience required for licensure
- your top 3-5 publications resulting from the research
- name and professional designation (if applicable) of your supervisor and the department location
Your thesis supervisor will be sent an electronic reference questionnaire after you have submitted your application.