Academic Documentation Requirements for Inter-Provincial Member-in-Training Mobility Applications
All applicants will be evaluated against the APEGA syllabus in engineering and geoscience. Applicants who do not meet academic requirements could be refused, prescribed examinations to make up perceived deficiencies or asked to write confirmatory examinations to confirm the quality, depth and breadth of their education.
Basic guidelines regarding the acceptability of certain academic programs can be found below:
- Acceptable course equivalents and syllabi
- The World Education Services (WES) Degree Equivalency Tool
The final review of academic documents is done by APEGA's Board of Examiners (BOE), and it is the BOE that ultimately determines their depth, breadth, and acceptability.
For post-secondary degrees obtained at a Canadian university, APEGA requires official sealed and/or stamped physical copies, which must be sent to APEGA from your university.
Documents may also be accepted directly from the applicant if they are still sealed by the university and have not been opened.
If your post-secondary degrees are from a university outside of Canada, you must obtain an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) Course by Course Report of your academic records from World Education Services (WES).
APEGA will not accept any other proof of academics, and this report will be delivered electronically from WES to APEGA.
Canadian Academic Records
- For degree programs accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), APEGA will accept an official transcript from the degree granting institution.
- For non-CEAB programs, including geoscience programs, APEGA requires an official transcript from the degree granting institution as well as official transcripts for any transfer courses applied towards the degree(s) but taken at other Canadian institutions. For transfer courses taken at non-Canadian institutions, please see the International Academic Records information below.
Your application will be updated from the receipt of the documents at APEGA's Edmonton office. This may take up to three weeks.
About CEAB Accreditation
Accreditation is a process where a specific program at an institution is confirmed to contain all the necessary courses for licensure. Because these programs have already had their content confirmed, the review process for graduates of these programs is quick
Read about the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)
International Academic Records
World Education Services (WES) is an academic-assessment agency designated by Immigration and Citizenship Canada to provide educational credential assessments for degrees earned outside of Canada. WES is the only academic-assessment agency recognized by APEGA, and only International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) reports are accepted.
Read about International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) reports
A WES assessment that states you have a "4-year undergraduate degree" is only the first step in the academic assessment process. APEGA's Board of Examiners must also conduct a full review of your academic credentials.
WES ICAP Report
- Verifies the authenticity of your academic documents.
- Establishes the equivalent level of your academic credentials compared with the Canadian university system.
APEGA's Board of Examiners
- Reviews your degree to ensure it is a degree in engineering or geoscience.
- Confirms the acceptability of the course content and performance of your degree.
- Ensures that your degree meets the legal requirements for licensure.
How to Obtain a World Education Services ICAP Report
- Create an account in the myAPEGA portal and begin an application to obtain an APEGA ID number. This APEGA ID will be required to order a WES ICAP Course by Course Report.
- Follow the instructions to continue to the WES website for the next step of the application process.
- Follow the instructions provided by WES. If you already have an evaluation report from WES, you may need to upgrade that report to an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) Course by Course Report.
- WES will send the completed evaluation report to APEGA digitally. Physical copies will not be accepted.