Apply for an APEGA Licence | APEGA

Apply for an APEGA Licence

The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) serves the Alberta public by regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience on behalf of the Government of Alberta through the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act

APEGA's primary regulatory function is to license individuals (called Members) and companies (called Permit Holders). Only licensed Members and Permit Holders are allowed to independently practise engineering and geoscience in Alberta. Non-licensed individuals must work under the supervision of a Member.

If you want to practise engineering or geoscience in Alberta, you must be licensed by APEGA. It is illegal to practise these professions or to call yourself an engineer or geoscientist if you are not licensed with APEGA.

This is also true for companies. Any Alberta-based company that will have Professional Engineers or Geoscientists as part of its business must have a Permit to Practice with APEGA.

Application Types



A Professional Member is a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.), Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.), or both with no defined limitations for practising engineering and/or geoscience.


A Professional Licensee can practise within a defined scope of practice.



A Licensee is someone who has met all of the requirements for an engineering or geoscience licence, similar to a Professional Member, but is not a permanent resident or Canadian citizen.


There are two types of Members-in-Training (M.I.T.s): Engineer-in-Training and Geoscientist-in-Training. An M.I.T. has met the academic requirements and is obtaining the required work experience for a P.Eng. or P.Geo. licence.



Any Alberta-based company that has Professional Engineers or Geoscientists as part of its business must have a Permit to Practice with APEGA.


Documentation Submission Time Limits

APEGA is dedicated to processing applications in a timely and efficient manner. To ensure we are providing the best service to applicants and to the Board of Examiners (BOE), we require all application information to be complete and accurate before it can be sent for review. After the application has been submitted and paid for, we allow 90 days for applicants to provide all documentation.

If all documentation requirements are not met within this 90-day window, APEGA will withdraw your application, and you will be asked to reapply. This includes any necessary corrections or re-submission of documentation.

Application Guide

To help you through the application process, please download and read our Application Guide. This will provide you with detailed instructions, helpful tips, and contact information. Please note that we are currently updating our processes and policies. If you encounter any discrepancies between this guide and the website, follow the information given on the website.    

Application Status

You can check the status of your application by logging into your Member Self-Service Centre account.

Applying to NAPEG and Engineers Yukon

If you are applying to the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists or to Engineers Yukon you can submit your application through APEGA's web tool. Read about submitting your NAPEG or Engineers Yukon application through APEGA before getting started.