New Authenticating Standard Available Now
APEGA Council has approved the Authenticating Professional Work Products practice standard, and it's now ready for reading online and downloading.
A transition period will give licensed professionals and permit holders time to develop policies and processes to comply with the new standard. Enforcement of the practice standard will begin in July 2020.
Understanding and properly implementing authentication, particularly in the digital space, is one of the most talked-about challenges licensed professionals face in their practice. The updated and improved practice standard—called Authenticating Professional Work Products—improves definitions and adds clarity to this important professional responsibility.
Areas addressed in the new practice standard include:
- defining professional work products to enable licensed professionals to better determine what should be authenticated
- defining a Responsible Member's validation of professional work products
- standardizing authentication and validation formats to enable licensed professionals, permit holder, and the public to easily identify the authenticator and the validator, as well as the dates of authentication and validation
- discussing the uses of digital technology to authenticate professional work products
- setting the requirements for the authentication of professional work products imported into or exported from Alberta
- providing considerations for the retention and storage of authenticated professional work products
APEGA has reintroduced the Permit to Practice Stamp in the new standard as a necessary requirement in validating a professional work product. We are currently working with our stamp suppliers and finalizing policies that will allow permit holders to order the Permit to Practice Stamp from APEGA-approved vendors directly. For more information, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact [email protected].
Authentication eLearning Course and Materials
APEGA has developed an online course that outlines the changes in the new Authenticating Professional Work Products standard, and the obligations of licensed professionals, Responsible Members, and permit holders. Existing APEGA members already have access to this course through the Member Self-Service Centre, and non-members may register for a guest account to gain access.
We've also made the course videos and authentication infographics available for a quick reference to anyone who needs them.