Preparing Your Innovation in Education Award Application
Applications for the 2022 APEGA Innovation in Education Awards are open from September 7, 2021 to October 4, 2021
Applications must be submitted through our online application forms. There will be a form to complete for each Stage of the application process. We recommend you review the rubric provided while completing the application for the Innovation in Education Award.
Here is a summary of information you may be asked to provide about your proposed initiative:
Stage 1 - Initiative Proposal
- Initiative Title
- Initiative Overview (max 2 sentences)
- What specific local or global issue will your initiative address? Identify what problem the students will be trying to solve.
- What is the engineering and/or geoscience focus of your initiative? List a minimum of one direct and explicit connection to engineering and/or geoscience.
- Who will benefit from the final deliverable the students create? How will the final project deliverable positively impact the larger local community outside of the school?
- When will students work on this initiative? Will it take place during normal school hours, or outside of class time? What is the structure of the class(es) participating in this initiative?
- How will the students benefit from participation in this initiative?
Stage 2 - Specific Details and Scheduled Meeting
- What specific skills will the student develop through participation in this initiative?
- What are the specific learning outcomes for your initiative?
- If you had infinite money, time, space, etc. how would expand on this initiative?
- What support from APEGA would you like to receive throughout the duration of your initiative?
- How will you measure the success of this initiative? List both qualitative and quantitative measures of success.
Stage 3 - Budget and Timeline
- What is the total amount of funding you are requesting?
- Provide a high-level overview of what types of items/activities the funds will be spent on.
- Provide a detailed budget.
- List additional funding sources for your initiative.
- Provide a timeline of student activities.
- What are the risks that could prevent successful initiative completion? How can you mitigate those risks?
Within the online forms, you will be asked to upload your letter of school support, and the completed timeline and budget document.
Required Supporting Documents
Your application must include both a letter of support and a budget/timeline to be considered for an award.
Letter of School Support
Please upload a letter of support from your school principal that addresses the following:
- How will the school administration support you in completing the initiative as described
(e.g., will it make an in-kind donation or provide support staff or additional time and resources)?
- How does this initiative tie in with your school's or school board's goals?
Budget and Timeline Sheet
You must complete and submit a proposed budget and timeline of key milestones. You will be prompted to upload this file within the application form.
Evaluation and Scoring
A proposed initiative that does not meet the following criteria will be disqualified:
- has a strong engineering and/or geoscience focus
- will help students gain an in-depth, conceptual understanding of the content
- will expose students to relevant and realistic engineering and/or geoscience applications
- will be student-led and hands-on
- will engage students in at least one Grade K to 12 class
- will be worked on for the duration of at least one semester, or course, during the school year
- will create a deliverable that engages or impacts a larger community outside of the school
- application is accompanied by a letter of school support
Do you have questions or need assistance with your application?
Please email us at [email protected] with the subject line "APEGA Innovation in Education Awards".