Ivan Finlay Leadership Award
The Ivan Finlay Leadership Award recognizes Alberta university engineering and geoscience students who demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities.
There are up to 10 awards available, each with a prize of $1,000.
2021 Ivan Finlay Leadership Awards
Nominations for the 2021 awards closed on February 14, 2021. Thank you for your interest!
All submissions are currently under review and successful recipients will be notified in May 2021.
Nominations for the 2022 award cycle will open in late 2021.
To be eligible, a student must be enrolled in an engineering, geology, or geophysics undergraduate or graduate degree program in Alberta. Graduate students must also be either a member-in-training or applicant with APEGA.
Award recipients will be students who can demonstrate that they have achieved the following criteria within the last two years:
- Participated in planning career or personal development activities for university students, relevant to engineering or geoscience
- Volunteered at student events
- Provided impact/value by improving the reputation of the engineering or geoscience profession beyond the faculties (e.g., university-wide or community-wide)
- Demonstrated leadership skills by motivating and inspiring the people around them to accomplish more than they would have normally
- Actively shared responsibility, authority, information, and credit when working towards the achievement of a goal
- Taken prompt decisive action to resolve issues quickly and effectively
- Set a high standard of integrity by leading through example and maintaining high personal standards
- Effected positive change while in a leadership role.
Submissions must include:
- Completed nomination package
- Supporting documentation that describes the nominee and their achievements
- Any other supporting evidence that the Selection Committee should consider
- At least 2 professional letters of recommendation
- Proof of enrolment at a post-secondary institution
Detailed selection criteria are outlined in the nomination package.
Ivan Finlay Leadership Award recipients are motivated individuals attending university in Alberta who establish networks, overcome challenges, and take hold of their futures. As emerging leaders, they give back to their communities by volunteering, organizing professional development, and supporting outreach initiatives so that their peers can succeed in the same way they do.
Find out what it takes to receive an Ivan Finlay Leadership Awards and the meaning behind the program.