Ivan Finlay Leadership Award
The Ivan Finlay Leadership Award recognizes Alberta university engineering and geoscience students who demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities.
There are up to 10 awards available, each with a prize of $1,000.
The 2021 Ivan Finlay Leadership Award nominations are now open. Download the nomination package below, and submit it by February 14, 2021.
To be eligible, a student must be enrolled in an engineering, geology, or geophysics undergraduate or graduate degree program in Alberta. Graduate students must also be either a member-in-training or applicant with APEGA.
Award recipients will be students who can demonstrate that they have achieved the following criteria within the last two years:
- Participated in planning career or personal development activities for university students, relevant to engineering or geoscience
- Volunteered at student events
- Provided impact/value by improving the reputation of the engineering or geoscience profession beyond the faculties (e.g., university-wide or community-wide)
- Demonstrated leadership skills by motivating and inspiring the people around them to accomplish more than they would have normally
- Actively shared responsibility, authority, information, and credit when working towards the achievement of a goal
- Taken prompt decisive action to resolve issues quickly and effectively
- Set a high standard of integrity by leading through example and maintaining high personal standards
- Effected positive change while in a leadership role.
Submissions must include:
- Completed nomination package
- Supporting documentation that describes the nominee and their achievements
- Any other supporting evidence that the Selection Committee should consider
- At least 2 professional letters of recommendation
- Proof of enrolment at a post-secondary institution
Detailed selection criteria are outlined in the nomination package.