Annual General Meeting 2021
This virtual event was held on April 23, 2021
APEGA's first-ever virtual annual general meeting
The annual general meeting (AGM) is your opportunity to:
- discuss issues important to the engineering and geoscience professions in Alberta
- vote on matters brought before professional members by APEGA Council
- present motions for Council to consider
During the recent APEGA election, 98 per cent of voters approved an amendment to the APEGA bylaws authorizing meetings of the association, such as the AGM, to be held in person, electronically, or as a hybrid of both.
As a result, APEGA will be holding its 2021 AGM as a fully virtual event on Friday, April 23.
To ensure a smooth event, APEGA Council approved special rules of order at the recent March 25 Council meeting outlining procedures to be followed before and during the meeting.
100th Annual General Meeting Agenda
Friday, April 23, 2021, 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. (virtual meeting)
John Van der Put, P.Eng., FEC, FGC (Hon.), Chair
indicates attachment (to be shared during the AGM)
UC indicates Unanimous Consent
- Call to Order (2:00 P.M.)
- Credentials Report
- Special Rules for the Meeting
- Motion (UC) Approval of the Agenda
- Head Table
- Special Guests
- Payment of Respect to Members Deceased Since the 2019 AGM
- Minutes of the 2019 AGM
- 10.0 Business Arising From the Minutes
- Address of the President
- Registrar & CEO's Report
- Report From the Special Committee of Council On the Nominations Process
- Auditor's Report
- Appointment of Auditor For 2021 Motion (UC)
- Constituent Association Reports
- Review of 2021 Election Process And Announcement of Election Results
- Objection To Election Results
- Appointment of Nominating Committee For 2021-2022 Motion (UC)
- New Business
- Date For 2022 AGM Motion (UC)
- Friday, April 22, 2022, Edmonton Convention Centre, Edmonton, AB
- Vesting of the Past-Presidents
- Induction of President
APEGA 2021 Annual General Meeting Special Rules
- Parliamentary Authority: The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised 12th Edition shall govern this the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
(“APEGA”) 2021 annual general meeting (“the meeting”) in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the APEGA bylaws, these special rules and any special rules of order APEGA may
- Attendees: Members of APEGA shall preregister in advance prior to the meeting to be entitled to attend the meeting, debate, and vote. Preregistration will close at noon, Thursday, April 22, 2021.
- Minutes Approval Committee: The President shall appoint a committee of three to approve the minutes.
- Committees: The President shall appoint all individuals and committees for the conduct of the meeting.
- Login information: APEGA shall send by email to every preregistered member of APEGA, at least one day before the meeting, instructions which will include login information and codes necessary to connect to the webcasting
- Login: The webcasting service will be available at least one hour before the start of the meeting, and preregistered members shall login at least 30 minutes before the scheduled start of the meeting.
- Technical requirements and malfunctions: Each member shall be responsible for their telephone and internet connections. No action shall be invalidated on the grounds that the loss of, or poor quality of, a member’s individual
connections prevented participation in the meeting.
- Assignment of the floor: To seek recognition by the Chair during resolution debate, a member shall phone in to the designated telephone number and shall advise the operator of the member’s intention to speak “For”
or “Against” the resolution open for debate. The Chair will recognize speakers in alternating order, “For” and “Against”, and will limit debate to five (5) speakers “For” and five (5) speakers “Against”.
Once recognized by the Chair, the member shall address the Chair and the member’s comments shall be webcast to all attendees.
- All main motions and resolutions shall be in writing and shall indicate the name of and be signed by the maker of the motion and delivered to the presiding officer, no later than 10:00 a.m., Friday, April 23, 2021.
- Only resolving clauses of a resolution shall be presented to and considered by the meeting.
- Upon recognition by the Chair, members shall state their name, practice permit number/member ID, and city or town of residence prior to addressing the meeting.
- No one shall speak in debate more than once, on the same question on the same day, for longer than two minutes, without permission of the assembly granted by a two-thirds vote without debate.
- The Chair may call upon any subject matter expert to provide information to the meeting.
- Voting on resolutions: Votes shall be conducted via the anonymous voting feature of the webcasting service.
- In a motion unanimously passed at the March 20, 2014, meeting of APEGA Council, it was agreed that for the announcement of the results of the election of members to Council, the actual number of votes cast for each candidate will not be reported at
an AGM, and the minutes of the AGM will not include the actual number of votes cast for each candidate.
- Electronic Devices: Mobile phones and other electronic devices shall be silenced during the meeting. No member shall use video cameras, recording equipment, or screen capture software to record any part of the meeting, other than that approved by the President.