APEGA's Salary Survey provides market data on current compensation and benefits for the engineering and geoscience functions in Alberta. Each spring, permit holders submit their data to Mercer for analysis and aggregation, with the report released in the fall.
New to 2020
Based on feedback from our permit holders, we transitioned to the Mercer Job Family Library. In previous editions of the APEGA Salary Survey, the data did not distinguish between management roles and non-management roles. The transition to the Mercer Job Library enables the reporting of both role types, resulting in a better picture of industry compensation.
In addition, the industry categories used in the previous editions of the survey have been updated to a more comprehensive structure. Instead of using a list of 10 industries, the new list follows an industry hierarchy:
- super sector – the largest industry sector
- sector – the sectors within the super sectors
- sub-sector – the sub-sectors within the sectors
Permit Holder & HR Professional Information
APEGA's Salary Survey reports on benefits and perquisites policies and practices within permit-holding companies, as well as compensation data specific to their engineering and geoscience functions. With this information, you can benchmark your existing benefits structure, enabling you to create a competitive compensation and benefits program to boost employee retention.
2020 Salary Survey Results
If your company did not participate in the Salary Survey, you can purchase a PDF report and dataset.
The PDF and Excel dataset contain the same information. The advantage of the dataset is you can analyze and compare the data, as well as import it into analysis programs.
In 2020, 171 permit holders participated in the survey, representing 12,891 incumbents.
The 2020 Salary Survey includes:
- compensation practices
- benefits and perquisites policies and practices
- compensation data by level, including:
- total cash compensation
- total direct compensation
- contract employee
Purchase the 2020 Salary Survey Results
If your company did not participate in the Salary Survey, you can purchase a copy of the report and the Excel dataset using the order form below.
PDF report only
$750 + GST
PDF report + Excel dataset Consists of cash compensation report data in a tabular format for easy filtering.
$2,500 + GST
Participate in the Next Salary Survey
Participation provides you with current market trends, enabling you to create competitive compensation and benefit packages, thus reducing employee turnover.
Our salary data are company reported, not member reported, providing you with accurate and actionable information.
Participating companies receive free access to the:
- policies and practices PDF
- complete data as an Excel dataset for easy analysis and filtering
- detailed compensation data by position and specialization
- Mercer Job Family Library position list
- survey participation webinar
- results presentation webinar
- custom reports using Mercer’s WIN online reporting tool
Participation opens each spring, closing in June, with reporting occurring in the fall.
APEGA's annual Salary Survey Member Report is designed specifically to assist APEGA members in having more informed annual compensation-based conversations
2020 Salary Survey Results - Free Members' Report
The report contains:
- regional compensation trends
- employment trends
- Mercer Job Family Library guide
- base salary median values for engineering and geoscience
- base salary by gender for engineering and geoscience