1953: J. Jefferey Hanna, P.Eng.
A native of Toronto, Jefferey Hanna came to Calgary in 1904 and attended school there until 1909. He worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway for one year before attending the University of Toronto, graduating in 1914 with a degree in civil engineering.
Shortly after being hired by the City of Calgary's engineering department he left to serve overseas with the Canadian Engineers during the First World War, achieving the rank of captain. On his return to Calgary he became the city's resident engineer on construction of the Hillhurst Bridge, then in 1921 was hired as resident engineer on the Old Man River crossing for the Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District.
In 1922 Hanna joined Imperial Oil Ltd. as construction engineer for its Calgary refinery, which began a 34-year career with the company. In 1947 he became refinery manager, a position he held until retiring 10 years later. From 1957-60 he served as an alderman for the City of Calgary.
Hanna joined the Association of Professional Engineers of Alberta (APEA; now The Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta) in 1921, was a member of council from 1950-52 and elected president in 1953. He was subsequently awarded Honorary Life Membership in the association.
He was also elected president of the Engineering Institute of Canada in 1959, served on many committees, chaired its Calgary branch and was a member of the institute's council. He passed away in Calgary in 1970.