Careers at APEGA
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic people who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You are committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and capable of delivering exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse and inclusive team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta.
Due to the widespread implications of COVID-19 and in following recommendations from the provincial government and health officials, the APEGA offices in Calgary and Edmonton are closed to the public. Staff are working remotely as we continue to closely monitor the evolving situation. We support the health and safety of employees and members.
APEGA’s recruitment process is experiencing delays. Candidates moving forward in the selection process will be notified of next steps as soon as updates become available. We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience and understanding.
Reporting to the Controller, the Accounting Clerk is responsible for ensuring accuracy and efficiency of operations, processing and monitoring incoming payments, and securing revenue by verifying and posting receipts. This includes the day to day billing and payment collection as well monthly balancing and integration with financial systems.
Reporting to the Director, Enforcement, the Administrative Assistant, Discipline is responsible for providing day-to-day administrative support to the Director, Enforcement as well as administrative support for the APEGA Discipline Committee and various Discipline Hearing Panels and Case Managers.
The Administrative Assistant, Discipline is also responsible for the coordination of APEGA Discipline Hearings and Discipline Committee . This includes meeting and/or hearings management, records management, tracking and following up on departmental work and project statuses and receiving and addressing internal and external inquires to maintain open lines of communication for the Enforcement Department.
Reporting to the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Manager, this position is responsible for key components of the section’s CPD Review Program. This includes collection, review, assess and tracking of detailed activity records and supporting documents submitted by licensed professionals. The role is responsible for the initial review of DAR submissions making recommendations on closure or escalation to the subject matter experts related to CPD.
The role is also responsible for tracking licensed professionals required to submit follow up Detailed Activity Record submissions and reviewing their submissions. The role will review follow up submissions and recommend course of action to the CPD Manager (closure, continuance, elevation, or referral to Investigation Division).
Reporting to the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Manager, this position is responsible for the following:
- maintaining and enforcing APEGA’s mandatory CPD Program and when necessary coordinating any revision process to update the Program
- maintaining and enforcing APEGA’s Good Standing Policy and Processes with respect to CPD.
- Maintaining and enforcing APEGA’s Licensure Administration Policies and Processes when applied to Reinstatements, Resumptions and Annual Declaration submissions.
- providing completed individual practice review reports with recommendations to the Practice Review Board (PRB) for final decision
- developing, delivering, and maintaining the content of professional practice seminars related to the Continuing Professional Development Program and practice standards related to individual professional practice
- advising the Director, Professional Practice and Executive Leadership of professional practice trends that require action or attention
- supporting other regulatory functions such as legislative interpretation and implementation, licensing, investigations, or enforcement in issues related to the assessment of professional conduct and skilled practice of licensed professionals
In addition, the CPD Practice Advisor is a "subject matter expert" on the practice of engineering and geoscience within Alberta and nationally, providing support to the Director, Professional Practice, the Practice Review Board (PRB) and its subcommittees to provide updates and professional practice expertise and advice as required
Reporting to the Chief Financial and Corporate Officer (CFCO), the Director, Finance is responsible for the day-to-day management and leadership of the Finance department including planning, organizing, directing, and monitoring the delivery of all financial services to APEGA through the oversight of the financial services team, in accordance with the organization’s strategic, business, and operational plans.
This role will also provide financial leadership and direction across APEGA through developing and maintaining financial policies, procedures, plans, and systems. This includes acting as an expert resource to the management teams across the organization through providing advice, guidance and education on financial processes, best practices and issues management. This role acts as the second most senior financial role within the organization and works closely with the CFCO in providing sound financial advice to the organization and the executive team.
Reporting to the Marketing & Sponsorships Manager, the External Relations Specialist provides communications support and advice to external clients to achieve APEGA's strategic and business goals. This includes building relationships and sharing key messages with multiple stakeholders outside the organization to maintain and enhance APEGA's reputation and brand, and to help manage and mitigate reputational risk to the organization.
Reporting to the Marketing & Sponsorships Manager, the Marketing & Communications Specialist develops and implements APEGA’s marketing and communication activities for internal and external clients to achieve APEGA's strategic and business goals. This involves building relationships and developing marketing and communications plans and programs to maintain and enhance APEGA's reputation and brand as regulator of the professions.
Reporting to the Professional Practice Review Manager, the Professional Practice Review Coordinator is required to assist the Practice Review Team in fulling its mandate regarding professional practice reviews of APEGA permit holders. Specifically, the Professional Practice Review Coordinator is responsible for coordinating practice reviews with the permit holders and supporting the Practice Review Advisors in this process.
How to Apply
Unless stated otherwise on the job listing, submit your cover letter with salary expectations, and resume as one pdf document (Name your file: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at [email protected]. Clearly indicate the competition number in your application.
If you are applying for multiple positions, send a separate submission for each competition, each with a clearly indicated competition number.
Successful candidates must complete a security screening as a condition of employment.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Total Rewards Package
APEGA created the Total Rewards Package with your well-being in mind. Along with competitive compensation, you have access to benefits that encourage personal and professional development, support work-life balance, and meet the needs of you and your family.
- Competitive compensation package
- Extended health and dental care benefits
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Professional and personal development opportunities
- Personal health and wellness allowance
- Employee and family assistance program
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Subsidized public transportation passes
- Personal leave days
- Vacation package
- Flexible work arrangements
- December holiday office closure
- Employee referral program
- Maternity and parental leave program
- Long-service award program
- Community involvement – United Way Campaign partner
- Access to APEGA Member benefits
- Modern and diverse work environment
- On-site and off-site social events
- Located downtown near events, festivals, and restaurants