APEGA Outstanding Mentor Award
Past Recipients of the Outstanding Mentor Award
Brian Thicke, P.Eng.
Nominating Someone for an Award
APEGA relies on its members and permit holders, and even the public, to nominate outstanding individuals in the professions. Nomination is always free, and you can submit as many nominations as you like.
You can download a nomination template file to help you develop your nomination and make sure that nothing important is missed. You do not have to use this template, but you do need to make sure you include all the information that the template includes.
Evaluation Considerations for the Outstanding Mentor Award
Nominations are evaluated and scored for up to 100 points. Be sure to write your nomination to address as much of these criteria as possible for the best chance at being selected.
- Ongoing Commitment to Mentoring (40 Points)
- Mentoring – many formats considered (ie. one-on-one, mentoring within a company, mentoring with a professional organization, mentoring within a university or student organization, mentoring/coaching within K-12 programs, mentoring activities outside of the profession)
- Helps mentees to advance in their careers and promotion (eg. Collaboration, networking, presenting)
- Aids mentee in developing leadership skills
- Helps to achieve balance between career and personal life
- Effectiveness as a Mentor (20 Points)
- Number of mentees and accomplishments of mentees
- Outstanding in supporting, encouraging and promoting education, professional and personal development
- Encourages mentee to develop individual talents and strengths by acting as an advisor and guide
- Successful role model
- Participation as a Mentor (20 Points)
- Personal goals and accomplishments, philosophy and/or outcomes associated with mentoring activities
- Demonstrated ability to nurture intellectual, creative and professional growth of mentees
- Demonstrated success in the area in which he/she mentors
- Letter from Mentee (20 points)
- Examples of mentor/mentee partnership that fostered career growth and/or provided value to development as a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist
- Personal and General Information (Not Scored)
- Education, publications, directorships, honours and decorations and other relevant information