Who will you choose in 2020 to serve the public and represent the APEGA professions on our governance team?
The nomination process for our centennial year election is complete and candidates are preparing their messages.
That means it’s time for members to start thinking about who to vote for in APEGA Election 2020.
Three candidates seek the President-Elect position for the 2020-2021 term and 16 others hope to serve three-year terms on Council. Four Council seats will be filled.
Elected last year as President-Elect was John Van der Put, P.Eng., FEC, FGC (Hon.), so he automatically advances to the presidency in 2020-2021.
You can vote for up to four candidates for Council and one for incoming President.
Your 2020 Candidates
Incoming President (President-Elect)
Lisa Doig, P.Eng.*
- Executive with experience across the energy industry from petrochemicals and oil and natural gas, to electricity
- Skilled in in leading large and small teams, bridging the technical/business gap to work collaboratively to develop and commercialize new clean technology
- Experience on APEGA Council including APEGA’s Governance and Audit committees, as well as Engineers Canada, and industry and community board work
Jennifer Enns, P.Eng.*
- Proven, practical, and change-oriented leader committed to quality and sustainable professional practice, with engineering and management experience in the public and private sectors
- Strategic thinker with broad service to the professions, including APEGA Council, Audit Committee, Policy & Standards Task Force, Practice Review Board, and the Consulting Engineers of Alberta
- Extensive community service including schools, regional and national science fairs, science journalism, Alberta Association of Architects, and Schulich School of Engineering Faculty Council
Brian Pearse, P.Eng.*
- Vice-president, president, CEO, and chief business offer experience in a major consulting engineering firm, working his way up from various positions including site inspector, design engineer, and engineering manager
- Experience overseeing multi-disciplinary teams involved in civil, environmental, and geotechnical engineering, along with surveying, historical resources, and land acquisition
- Former vice-president and councillor for APEGA, and now working part-time with an Indigenous collaborative assisting First Nations with project completion
Muyiwa Akinyosoye, P.Eng.
- 23 years of oil and gas experience, primarily in facilities, project, and construction management, at home and in South America and Africa
- Leadership experience that includes managing projects worth more than $2 billion
- Increasing responsibilities through major oil and gas players, reaching current role of Vice President, Major Capital Projects, Gran Tierra Energy
Margaret Allan, P.Eng., P.Geo.*
- Environmental experience since 1987, an engineer, geoscientist, and mentor, with projects involving contaminated site assessment and remediation, risk assessment, liability management, environmental compliance
- Roles as consultant, sole proprietor, and principal; author of scientific documents for federal government and peer-reviewed journals
- Volunteer experience on APEGA Investigative Committee and moderating APEGA’s ethics seminar; an appointed member of a municipal subdivision and development appeal board; member of a trail development committee advancing sustainable recreation opportunities
Joseph Amalraj, P.Eng.*
- Nearly four decades of global engineering experience in various capacities, including subject-matter expert, technical leader, feasibility study lead and member, and senior investigator of safety and reliability incidents
- APEGA volunteer service on the Board of Examiners, as a mentor in the mentoring program, and on the Fort McMurray Branch executive from 2002
- Professional accomplishments including a joint patent, and lead and co-authorship of technical publications
John Duhault, P.Geo.
- 40-plus years professional experience as entrepreneurial geoscientist in oil and gas discovery, development, risk mitigation
- President, Principal Geoscience consultant for a Calgary consulting and advisory company, with direct ownership over data analysis and interpretation, team training and mentoring, and consulting to oil and gas organizations
- Past president Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists, past chair Prairie Action Foundation (researching reducing the cycle of family and child abuse), past president of Scenic Sands Community Association
Darren Hardy, P.Eng.*
- Energy executive with business training and 30 years of safe, responsible operations and leadership experience, along with a history of building strong and cohesive teams
- Strategic experience as a senior strategic advisor and senior vice president of operations at with major oil sands players
- APEGA Council member and chair of its Audit Committee, past director with the Alberta Chamber of Resources, and board member for the Bow View Ringette Association (VP of Coaching Development)
Lorna Harron, P.Eng.*
- 20-plus years of experience in oil and gas, and now president of her own consulting company, Harron Risk Management Ltd.
- Experience in stakeholder relationships, talent management and competency development, strategic planning, leadership, project management and development, interacting with regulatory bodies, and more
- Past chair of the Women in APEGA Strategic Advisory Committee
Geoffrey Kneller, P.Eng.*
- 24 years of professional engineering experience in oil and gas, high tech, municipal infrastructure, and public service, recently joining TC Energy in pipeline integrity engineering
- Seven years of regulatory experience as an APEGA volunteer, currently chair of the Enforcement Review Committee
- Professional leadership and execution experience as a Canadian Armed Forces reservist
RaeAnne Leach, P.Eng.*
- 13-plus years of experience in civil and municipal engineering in the Peace Country, including residential, commercial, and industrial design, stormwater management, hydrological analysis, and planning
- APEGA service as a Councillor and held positions on the Peace Region Branch Executive, including chair
- Active volunteer for elementary science nights and the Peace Country Science Olympics, and through delivery of career presentations to high school students
Paige Mamer, P.Geo.
- Business development manager in the energy services industry who is expanding products and analytics services in the Canadian market
- Background is geology, geophysics, and geomechanics, working up from junior to senior positions
- Technical society and industry organization experience, including organizer and chair of the Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources Induced Seismicity Forum, industry advisory board member of University of Calgary’s Microseismic Industry Consortium, and regular speaker with the Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists and others
Bernd Manz, P.Eng.
- 30-plus years of experience including executive-level leadership of organizations in the creation, implementation, and evaluation of strategic planning, talent and resource management, and achievement of board-approved goals and objectives
- Recent CEO experience leading a full-service utility corporation, plus public sector municipal experience as a director
- APEGA experience as Environment Committee member and member of the Peace River Branch executive, and governance experience as board member of various non-profit organizations
Tim Moran, P.Eng.*
- Nearly two decades of engineering experience as a consultant, project manager, or manager in the environmental, regulatory and operational areas of the oil and gas industry
- Experienced in organizational governance as a member of the APEGA Discipline Committee, Canadian Energy Pipeline Association, and other industry associations
- Professional development including Sauder School of Advanced Leadership (in progress) and volunteering with community sports and local services, as well as Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010
Ross Plecash, P.Eng.
- 13 years of executive leadership with APEGA and nine years of operations leadership and corporate engineering governance in private industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of administrative law, regulatory law, and board governance in a wide range of professional regulators and not-for-profits
- Skilled in negotiation and mediation, stakeholder consensus building, policy development, strategic planning, risk management, workflow development, budgeting and financial analysis, staff mentoring and team building, and written and verbal communications
Jonathan Prill, P.Eng.*
- Extensive experience in oilfield equipment design, with primary focus on downhole drilling and remediation equipment
- Leadership experience running an engineering firm, chairing the Society of Petroleum Engineers Edmonton board of directors, and leading diverse, international engineering teams in a large corporation on multi-million-dollar projects with complex and abstract deliverables
- Named inventor on 22 industry patents and author of two technical papers for the Society of Petroleum Engineers
Bob Rundle, P.Eng.*
- Program and project management, and construction and team leadership experience, in industrial and utility development, dating from the mid-1990s, and holder of about 10 professional development and safety course certificates or registrations
- Overseas experience on major Indonesian projects, from mid-1990s to early 2000s
- Experience as an APEGA Councillor and on the Edmonton Branch Executive as chair, vice-chair, treasurer
Theresa Watson, P.Eng.*
- Since 1992 the President of T.L. Watson and Associates Inc., an engineering company specializing in technical solutions to diverse oilfield problems, here and abroad
- Expert witness and engineer with expertise in data analytics, wellbore integrity, regulatory development and compliance, liability and risk management, carbon capture and storage, and more
- Many published works, presentations, and lectures, plus experience with the Energy Resources Conservation Board in governance, strategic planning, and quasi-judicial proceedings
Lian Zhao, P.Eng.
- 30-plus years of experience in energy and environmental consulting industries, PhD in petrology at the Geology and Geophysical Institute in Chinese Academy of Sciences, PhD in environmental engineering at University of Guelph
- President at CEPro Energy Group, which is fully engaged in sustainable development goals to serve its clients, stakeholders, collaborative partners in industrial and academic sectors
- Service on APEGA Practice Standards Committee Environmental Subcommittee, five-year recipient of APEGA Volunteer Award in 2018
*recommended by the APEGA Nominating Committee
Electronic polling opens February 3, 2020, and closes March 5, 2020. You’ll receive full details in 2020.
Who Are the Candidates?
You’ll have plenty of opportunity to find out more about the candidates, between now and voting time.
Professional highlights for each candidate will be added to this item and the election area of our website next week, when we promote the candidate list in the ePEG Extra. Personal statements will be posted in the spring edition of The PEG and on the election area of the website, then promoted in our electronic newsletter, the ePEG.
We’ll also post video introductions of the candidates on apega.ca in mid-January.
Shortly after polling starts, you’ll be able to mingle with candidates in an informal setting. For the second consecutive year, we’re running Coffee & Conversation events—in Calgary, February 4, and in Edmonton, February 11. You’ll even be able to cast your votes at the same time.
To keep improving as a leader in self-regulation, APEGA relies on a diverse team of strategic thinkers to provide sound, visionary governance.
It’s a key to our success, and you are part of the process. Demonstrate your commitment and engagement to self-regulation by learning about candidates and voting during the election.
Head into our Centennial year with a renewed commitment to your professions. Be sure to vote, and be sure to encourage your professional peers to do the same.
Your 2020 President (Elected in 2019)
John Van der Put, P.Eng., FEC, FGC(Hon.)*
- Energy industry executive with 35-plus years of experience, whose accomplishments span the Americas in upstream oil and gas, and pipeline development
- Extensive knowledge of process engineering and project executive leadership
- Experience on APEGA Council, 2007 to 2010 and 2012 to 2015, including service on Act, Regulations, and Bylaws Committee, Audit Committee, and Finance committee, plus further APEGA volunteer experience on Discipline Committee and Professional Development, and in mentoring and student outreach
*recommended by the APEGA Nominating Committee