APEGA Science Olympics Event Volunteers
APEGA is looking for enthusiastic volunteers interested in sharing their passion for engineering and geoscience with students at the APEGA Science Olympics.
Events Requiring Volunteers
|Date||May 9, 2020|
|Location||University of Calgary|
|Tentative meeting dates|
Volunteer Position Description
Report to APEGA Outreach Coordinator or APEGA Outreach Manager. Challenge Manager volunteers will be the first point of contact at the event.
Assist with various tasks and assignments as requested by Challenge Manager volunteers, APEGA Outreach Coordinators, and APEGA Outreach Manager. These may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Observe participants as they complete challenges. Use a provided scoring rubric to fairly and consistently judge the participants.
- Encourage students in their competition, reward creativity and perseverance, and be a role model.
- Answer student questions.
- Pass out and clean-up project material.
- Set up challenge areas, put up banners and signs.
- Volunteer and team sign-in.
- Distribute programs, shirts, prizes, pizza.
- Competition facilitation.
- Input student scores.
Volunteers will be informed of their assigned tasks before the event day.
Skills and Qualifications
- Practicing or retired professional member, E.I.T., G.I.T., university student member or applicant, in engineering or geoscience. Non-members with related experience in outreach, educations, or STEM fields are encouraged to apply.
- Interest in promoting engineering, geoscience, technology, and related careers to students in K-12.
Average Time Commitment
- Three-hour training session on your role
- Six to seven hours on the day of the event
- Promote your profession and enhance the understanding of the work of engineers and geoscientists.
- Meet and work with other practicing members and university student members.
- Earn credits for CPD (continuing professional development) and APEGA Volunteer Service Awards.
- Promote a love of science to students (grades 1-12) and their parents, and show the fun side of science as well as the practical applications of engineering and geoscience.
- Involvement in a fun and rewarding experience.
For more information, email [email protected].VOLUNTEER IN CALGARY