Volunteer as a Practice Review Board Member
The Practice Review Board (PRB) and its subcommittees operates as a critical piece of APEGA’s overall regulatory framework under the administrative responsibility of the Registrar and Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Regulatory Officer.
Through assessment and evaluation of APEGA's licensed professionals and permit holders, the PRB ensures that APEGA's procedures in the areas of registration, discipline, maintenance of competence, and enforcement are adequate to protect the public interest.
- Conducting practice reviews of APEGA licensed professionals (P.Eng., P.Geo., P.Geol., P.Geoph., licensees, or professional licensees) and permit holders as mandated by Section 16 of the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act (EGP Act) and the regulations. The PRB performs this function through the Practice Review Subcommittee (PRSC).
- Developing and maintaining desirable standards of competence as mandated by Section 16 of the EGP Act. APEGA practice standards, guidelines, and bulletins assist APEGA members and permit holders practicing engineering and geoscience in accordance with the EGP Act, regulations, bylaws, and other applicable standards, codes, and regulations. While written for licensed professionals, practice standards, guidelines, and bulletins also help the public better understand the expectations APEGA licensed professionals and permit holders when providing professional services. The PRB performs this function through the Practice Standards Subcommittee (PSSC).
- Administering the mandatory continuing professional development (CPD) as mandated by Sections 16–20 of the General Regulations of the Act. The PRB performs this function through the CPD Subcommittee (CPDSC).
- Reviewing the competency of the APEGA licensed professionals who wish to change their practicing status (from practicing to non-practicing or vice versa) or who wish to reinstate their membership within a period of 7 years after it has lapsed. The PRB performs this function through Licensure Administration Subcommittee (LASC).
APEGA's Professional Practice department is the liaison to the PRB on behalf of the Registrar and Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Regulatory Officer. The chair of the PRB regularly reports to APEGA Council on the execution of its responsibilities and on the health of the professions.
Duties and Expectations
- Serve a three-year term with potential for a reappointment.
- Attend approximately seven half-day meetings per year at either the Edmonton or Calgary APEGA office.
- Participate in approximately seven two-hour subcommittee meetings via teleconference.
- Actively participate in meetings and teleconferences, specifically reviewing the meeting agenda and materials in advance of each meeting to facilitate constructive discussion and assessment of issues that require endorsement by the PRB or subcommittees.
- Conduct practice reviews, CPD reviews, and membership reinstatement and resumption application reviews as applicable to membership on one or several PRB subcommittees.
- Positively represent APEGA externally, acting as a spokesperson and ambassador to all APEGA stakeholder groups.
Skills and Qualifications
- Licensed by and in good standing with APEGA as a licensed professional (P. Eng., P. Geo., P. Geol., P. Geoph. or P.L.).
- Significant experience as a professional member, ideally over 10 years of industry, regulatory, or public service experience.
- Familiarity with the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act and the regulations, APEGA practice standards and guidelines, CPD program, and compliance with the Act.
- Previous management experience (managing a team of at least five persons) and familiar with group decision making, analytical thinking, and cooperation.
- Experience with regulatory boards or committees is an asset.
The following additional skill sets are desired for subcommittee members
Practice Review Subcommittee (PRSC)
- A Responsible Member for an APEGA permit holder.
- Thorough understanding of the APEGA guideline for Professional Practice Management Plan.
- Good understanding of the all other APEGA Practice Standards and Guidelines.
Practice Standards Subcommittee (PSSC)
- Understand the aims of APEGA practice standard, guidelines, and bulletins.
- Good understanding of all APEGA Practice Standards and Guidelines.
- Experience with standards/guideline development processes, including stakeholder collaboration and consultation.
CPD Subcommittee (CPDSC)
- Thorough understanding of the CPD Program requirements including provisions in the Act for non-compliance.
- Mentorship experience.
Licensure Administration Subcommittee (LASC)
- Thorough understanding of practice statuses of licensed professionals, i.e., practicing vs non-practicing.
- Thorough understanding of professionalism and ethical practice.
- Familiarity with privileges and restriction on the use of reserved title and reserved practice provisions in the Act, i.e.. who can practice and use reserved titles, and who needs a permit to practice in Alberta.
Note: If there is a particular subcommittee you are interested in, please indicate this on your application. All subcommittee assignments are based on skills, experience, and qualifications, and you may be assigned a different subcommittee than you have indicated.
This is a volunteer position and has no monetary benefits. Volunteers are reimbursed for all reasonable expenses incurred as part of this volunteer position, subject to the approved APEGA Travel and Expense Claim policy. Volunteers will also be part of the APEGA volunteer management system and as such accrue volunteer service credits. Volunteer participation may also be claimed as part of APEGA’s continuing professional development (CPD) annual requirements for active and participating licensed professionals.
Participation on this committee will also allow volunteers to enhance the following skills:
- Increased appreciation and knowledge of the Profession’s regulatory obligations and authorities
- Opportunity to advance the profession by sharing your knowledge and experience
- Learn new skills and expand your business network