Volunteer as a K-12 Classroom Expert
The APEGA Outreach team is looking for enthusiastic volunteers interested in sharing their passion for engineering and geoscience with K-12 students. Volunteers will be asked to visit K-12 classrooms in their region or connect with classrooms virtually to act as subject matter experts. Specific topics will relate to the science or math curriculum students are learning in school, but will vary based on the requests that we receive.
Successful applicants can be located anywhere in Alberta.
We are looking for volunteers with expertise in the following areas to visit our APEGA Innovation in Education Awards recipient classrooms:
- Alberta's energy sources
- Astronomy, space exploration, and related technologies
- Basic programming and game development
- Botany, agriculture, and space farming
- Electrical engineering
- Engineering & geoscience skills for success
- Engineering design process, creating design proposals, and delivering presentations
- Geology of Alberta's foothills and the Rocky Mountains
- Municipal recycling programs
- Natural disaster mitigation from a geological perspective and structural engineering perspective
- Particle accelerators
- Planetary geology
- Website development and QR codes
- Wind turbines and renewable energy sources
Volunteer Position Description
Reports to the APEGA Outreach Coordinator or APEGA Outreach Manager.
- Prepare for each classroom visit by reviewing necessary background information, developing discussion points, or short presentations. Content of each classroom visit will vary depending on the nature of the request from the school and must be discussed with APEGA Outreach staff in advance.
- Act as a representative of APEGA in K-12 schools, arriving on time and acting in a professional and appropriate manner throughout the visit.
- Keep the APEGA Outreach Coordinator informed about the details of the classroom visit.
- After each classroom visit, report back to the APEGA Outreach Coordinator in a timely manner with requested metrics and feedback.
Skills and Qualifications
- Practising or retired Professional Member, E.I.T., or G.I.T with industry experience. Non-members will be considered depending on experience.
- Takes pride in the professions of engineering and geoscience.
- Willingness to share knowledge and experience with young people.
- Interested in promoting engineering, geoscience, technology, and related careers to students in K-12.
- Experience public speaking in an engaging way to audiences of varying backgrounds.
Average Time Commitment
Time commitment is dependent on the number of requests that APEGA receives from schools in the applicant's area.
Orientation and Training
APEGA will provide digital training documents and best practices for presenting to youth.
- Promote your profession and enhance the understanding of the work of engineers and geoscientists.
- Earn credits as an APEGA member for CPD (Continuing Professional Development) and APEGA Volunteer Service Awards.
- Promote a love of science to K-12 students.
- Show the fun side of science as well as its practical application.
Applicants will be asked to complete a video interview.
For more information, email the Volunteer Management Coordinator at [email protected].