Volunteer at a Branch Science Olympics Event
APEGA's branches are looking for enthusiastic volunteers interested in sharing their passion for engineering and geoscience with students at the 2020 APEGA Science Olympics events! These events are a great opportunity to foster a love for engineering and geoscience in students, promote your profession in the community, and log professional development hours with APEGA.
Events Requiring Volunteers
|Branch||Fort McMurray||Cold Lake||Lloydminster|
|Oil Sands Discovery Centre|
515 MacKenzie Blvd.
Fort McMurray, AB T9H 4X3
|Cold Lake Energy Centre Field House|
7825 51 St.
Cold Lake, AB T9M 0B6
|Holy Rosary Tech Warehouse|
6611A 39 Street
Lloydminster, AB T9V 2Z4
|Date||January 24, 2020||February 8, 2020||March 27, 2020|
Volunteer Position Description
Reports to APEGA Branch Outreach Lead.
- Observing teams as they complete challenges in order to judge their projects and performance.
- Encouraging students in grades 1-13 in their competitions, rewarding creativity and perseverance, and acting as a role model.
- Assisting in event setup and take-down and assisting in various tasks throughout the day as requested by APEGA Branch Outreach Lead (e.g., minor set up of banners, arrivals tables, signage placement, volunteer and team check-ins, program distribution, competition facilitation, etc.).
Skills and Qualifications
- Practicing or retired professional member, E.I.T., G.I.T., university student, or applicant in engineering or geoscience. Non-members with related experience in education, outreach, or STEM fields will be considered.
- Pride in the professions of engineering and geoscience.
- Willingness to share knowledge and experience with young people.
- Interest in promoting engineering, geoscience, technology, and related careers to students in K-13.
Average Time Commitment
Five to 10 hours total, including volunteer orientation (if applicable).
Orientation and Training
Must be available to attend orientation session for briefing on role.
- Promote your profession and enhance the understanding of the work of engineers and geoscientists.
- Meet and work with other practicing members and university student members.
- Earn credits for CPD (continuing professional development) and APEGA Volunteer Service Awards.
- Promote a love of science to students (Grades 1-13) and their parents, and show the fun side of science as well as the practical applications of engineering and geoscience.
- Involvement in a fun and rewarding experience.
For more information, email [email protected].