Apply to the Innovation in Education Awards
The APEGA Innovation in Education Awards enables Alberta educators to incorporate meaningful, educational experiences in their grade 1 to 12 classrooms. The goal of these awards is to teach students about their respective curriculum points through the exploration and application of engineering and geoscience concepts to create something new or to solve an existing problem.
Awards of up to $5,000 each, totalling $50,000, will be awarded to facilitate innovative engineering- and geoscience-focused classroom initiatives.
In celebration of APEGA's centennial in 2020, we will also be recognizing one recipient with the Centennial Innovation in Education Award. This award will provide up to $10,000 for a special project that meets all other Innovation in Education Award criteria and demonstrates exceptional community engagement and impact. More information about APEGA's Centennial celebrations will be available in Winter 2019.
There are two rounds in the application process.
Round 1 - Initiative Proposal
This part has two components: a budget and timeline sheet, and a letter of school support. Using the online application form, you will provide basic information about yourself, your school, and your proposed initiative. Your application will be reviewed after the deadline, and if successful, you will move forward to Round Two.
a. Budget and Timeline Sheet
You will need to fill in and submit a proposed budget and timeline of key milestones. You will be prompted to upload this file within the application form.
b. Letter of School Support
You will need to upload a letter of support from your school principal that addresses the following:
- How will the school administration support you in completing the initiative as described (e.g., will it make an in-kind donation or provide support staff or additional time and resources)?
- How does this initiative tie in with your school's or school board's goals?
Round 2 - Interview
If your application is selected to proceed, you will be notified after the deadline. In this round, you will be asked additional questions about your proposal that are intended to provide detailed information about your project planning process and requests for support. Interviews will be conducted through an online interviewing platform that will allow you to record video responses to our questions at your convenience.
|February 2020||Round 1 applications due|
|March 2020||Round 2 interviews begin|
|May 2020||Winners announced|
|June 2020||Awards Gala for 2019/20 winners|
|September 2020 - June 2021||Provide monthly updates|
|June 2021||Final report due|
Awards Gala for 2020/21 winners
If you are an award winner, starting September 2020, you will be asked to submit a brief project update by the last day of each month, as well as a final report. Recipients will be asked to provide photos and videos, timeline and budget updates, and initiative-specific metrics (such as the number of students engaged, the initiative's influence to date, and unexpected challenges or modifications to the initial plan).
The final report is due on June 1, 2021. This report must include a video featuring students summarizing the project's goals, progress, and final deliverables. Failure to submit sufficiently detailed progress reports by the necessary deadlines may result in award funding being withheld by APEGA.
In June 2020, we will invite winners of the 2020/21 cycle to our annual awards gala. This event provides networking opportunities, showcases the current year's project, and recognizes both past and current award winners. Similarly, after completion of your Innovation in Education Award project, you will be recognized at an awards gala in June 2021!
Applications due by 11:59 p.m. on February 23, 2020
Terms and Conditions
- Should the project require funds above those provided by APEGA and the school/school board, award recipients can utilize other funding sources to support their initiatives. Allocation of funds from various sources must be clearly outlined in the application.
- Upon selection of the final Award winners, APEGA will inform recipients of the amount of funding approved for their project. The full amount will only be dispersed to schools after all project deliverables (including receipts) are submitted on time. If the recipient’s employment at the school ends during the term of the agreement, the funds will stay with the school, provided the initiative will be completed by an alternative staff member. If no substitute can be found, all funds must be returned to APEGA.
- APEGA retains the right to withhold or withdraw funds if the initiative is not completed as described in the application form, or if reporting is not completed. This includes the provision of high-quality photos and videos and other deliverables as requested.
- APEGA must be notified of significant changes to the initiative, and the recipient must receive APEGA’s written approval of the changes before proceeding.
- All expenses must be incurred between September 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021.
- An individual or school may apply more than once with different initiative proposals, but there can be only one recipient per school, per award year, and the amount received must be dedicated to a single initiative. Collaborative applications that include multiple teachers and classrooms are encouraged.
- The award cannot be used to fund food, travel, or capital expenses (e.g., a class set of equipment or upgrades to school facilities) unless they are crucial to the completion of the initiative. Such expenses must be clearly outlined and justified in the proposed budget and approved by APEGA.
- APEGA will not fund competition/event fees or travel to competitions/events. Teacher Professional Development course fees and associated costs will also not be covered.
- The purchase of technology may be covered, but it must be economical as well as necessary for the completion of the initiative and approved by APEGA.
Sign up for an information webinar:
- November 7, 2019: 12–1 p.m.
- December 9, 2019: 4–5 p.m.
- January 20, 2020: 4–5 p.m.
For any additional questions, please email us at [email protected].