Pre-Graduate Work Experience

If you are applying for a Professional Member (Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist) or Licensee licence, the Board of Examiners (BOE) may give you work experience credit for experience you had before completing your engineering or geoscience undergraduate degree.

Member-in-Training and Professional Licensee applicants cannot claim pre-graduate work experience credit.

To request credit, include the information in your Work Experience Record. The review for pre-graduate work experience is separate from your academic review.

The BOE may give up to 12 months credit for engineering or geoscience work gained after academic term 5. In a four-year undergraduate program, relevant experience is typically gained after year 3.

Types of Work Experience Credit

There are two categories of pre-graduate experience:

  • co-op and internship programs
  • summer work or other work experience

Provide the name and contact information of a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who can act as a reference for your work experience. Include a detailed description of this work in your work experience record.

Part-time experience that overlaps academic studies is typically not considered as acceptable experience.