Post-Graduate Degree Experience Credit
If you are applying for a Professional Engineer or Licensee designation, the APEGA Board of Examiners (BOE) may give you work experience credit if you have completed a significant research project or thesis as part of a master's degree or a Ph.D. in engineering.
If you are applying as a Member-in-Training or Professional Licensee, you cannot receive post-graduate degree experience credit.
To request credit, include the information in your Work Record Validator List (WRVL) form. The review for post-graduate degree experience is separate from your academic review.
Work experience credit for post-graduate degrees in engineering:
- must be requested when you apply online
- cannot be given for more than 24 months, regardless of how many degrees you have
- will only be granted with completed post-graduate degrees
- can be given for a post-graduate degree from an accredited Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board, Mutual Recognition Agreement institution, or other institutions, at the consideration of the Board of Examiners (BOE)
- is only available for time spent in full-time study towards the post-graduate degree
- to be eligible, applicants must be recommended as academically qualified by the BOE
- is only for the research portion of the program and must demonstrate significant engineering design content
Maximum Amount of Eligible Credit
|Master's degree that was course-based||0 months credit|
|Master's degree that included a thesis or project||0-12 months credit|
|Ph.D. that included a thesis||0-24 months credit|
To request credit, upload the below information to your application before submitting it or email the information to [email protected].
You must submit:
- an official copy of your post-graduate transcript sent directly from your institution to APEGA
- a PDF or Word document of your title page, abstract, conclusions, and recommendations sections of your thesis or project in the work experience section of the online application
- a letter of recommendation from your thesis or project supervisor, written on university letterhead, and sent directly from your supervisor to APEGA
- Complete a WRVL form covering the period of your post-graduate degree containing the following:
- In the Work Record Validator section, provide your supervisor's information
- In the Work Record section, provide:
- the number of months spent writing and editing the project or thesis
- the title of the project or thesis
- a brief overview of your engineering research project or thesis
- the number of months of full-time and part time registration
- In the Work Record Reference section, the information for your reference should be your research project or thesis supervisor
Your supervisor will be sent an electronic questionnaire after you have submitted your application.