National Professional Practice Exam Study Materials
The following study materials can help you prepare for the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE).
You can purchase NPPE practice tests.
These practice tests will show you the format of the questions and your level of preparedness for the actual NPPE. Each practice test has 50 to 100 multiple-choice questions and uses questions from previous NPPEs.
The practice test site sells an NPPE preparation package, which includes two textbooks and access to a 100-question practice test at a discounted price. You can purchase textbooks directly from the publishers, through online book retailers, or as part of the NPPE preparation package.
Canadian Professional Engineering and Geoscience: Practice & Ethics, Fifth Edition, 2014
by Gordon C. Andrews
Canadian Professional Engineering and Geoscience: Practice & Ethics, Sixth Edition, 2018
by Gordon C. Andrews
Practical Law of Architecture, Engineering, and Geoscience, Second Canadian Edition, 2011
Practical Law of Architecture, Engineering, and Geoscience, Third Canadian Edition, 2015
by Brian M. Samuels and Doug R. Sanders
Free Study Materials
1. According to most provincial and territorial Acts, which activity by a Professional Member would be considered UNETHICAL?
- Not charging a fee for presenting a speech
- Signing plans prepared by an unknown person without thoroughly reviewing those plans
- Reviewing the work of another Member with that Member’s consent
- Providing professional services as a consultant
B is correct. Most provincial and territorial Acts stipulate that before professionals sign plans that were not prepared by themselves or under their direct supervision, they must first thoroughly review those plans. Failing to do so means that the professionals failed to comply with the Act; therefore, they were in violation of the Code of Ethics.
2. Which of the following is an example of a fraudulent, contractual misrepresentation?
- A party is coerced into signing a contract by means of intimidation
- A party knowingly makes false statements to induce another party into a contract
- A party induces his son-in-law to sign an unfair contract
- A party unknowingly provides false information about a portion of a contract
B is correct. Knowingly providing false information to induce a contract is fraudulent misrepresentation.
3. Contractual disputes of a technical nature may be most expeditiously and effectively solved through:
- A lawsuit
- Court appeals
- Contract renegotiations
D is correct. Arbitration provides an effective, expeditious resolution to technical disputes.
4. Which type of original work below is automatically protected by copyright upon creation?
- Clothing designs
A is correct. Of the works listed above, only a painting is protected by copyright law.
5. For compensation to be awarded to a plaintiff in a tort liability case, the defendant must have:
- Caused injury to the plaintiff
- Been willfully negligent
- Signed a contract of performance
- Performed under supervision
A is correct. Injury is one of three criteria that must be met for compensation to be awarded in a tort liability case.
6. Which of the following is the most common job activity of top-level managers?
- Writing and reading corporate financial reports
- Developing and testing new products
- Designing and implementing production systems
- Directing and interacting with people
D is correct. Most top-level managers spend most of their time interacting with other people.
7. The professional’s standard of care and skill establishes the point at which a professional:
- May or may not charge a fee for services
- Has the duty to apply “reasonable care”
- May be judged negligent in the performance of services
- Has met the minimum requirements for registration
C is correct. The standard of care is used to judge whether a professional has been negligent in the performance of services.
8. To effectively reduce liability exposure, the Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist should:
- Pursue continuing educational opportunities
- Work under the supervision of a senior Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist
- Maintain professional standards in practice
- Provide clients with frequent progress reports
C is correct. Maintaining professional standards of practice is the most effective way of reducing liability exposure.