APEGA Career Opportunity: Application Developer
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
The Application Developer creates new Information Technology (IT) applications; enhances existing applications; and provides support and bug fixes for applications. The successful candidate in this role will report to the IT Applications Manager.
- Research and analyze requirements to meet project needs, assess proposals, and help implement supporting applications
- Design user-friendly interfaces to systems, applications, and databases
- Write code and scripts to enhance functionality and appearance of the organization’s web applications by designing data structures to maximize efficiency and flexibility
- Comply with the industry’s security best practices for code development
- Publish applications in different environments using various tools like Bamboo, Visual Studio, or similar
- Document standards and procedures to support and facilitate development projects using tools like Confluence or other document collaboration software
- Provide technical knowledge and experience during planning and execution of integrating new application technologies into existing environment
- Actively look for and address security shortfalls in IT applications
- Follow the Company’s IT change management policies
- Resolve incident tickets in a timely fashion
- Provide timely status updates to team members and leaders as required
- Communicate with other developers to define and meet database needs and requirements
- Collaborate and network with staff from other departments to improve efficiency
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Key Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, Teamwork, Analytical Thinking, Application Support, Business Perspective, Continuous Learning and Systems Integration.
- Expertise in .NET development and SQL Server
- Experience in Web development (HTML, CSS, ASP.NET) and Microsoft IIS/Windows, or equivalent server platforms
- Experience in developing solutions in Microsoft SharePoint
- Experience in utilizing version or source control systems such as Git
- Demonstrated ability to use excellent written and verbal English communication skills to convey ideas, and project and process concepts
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Proven ability to effectively work independently and in a team setting
- Ability to show initiative and willingness to ask questions when unsure of expected norms and procedures in the work environment
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Strong ability to build and maintain professional and productive relationships with colleagues, clients, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work with confidential information
- Post-secondary degree in Information Sciences and Technology, computer science, software design, software development, or a related field
- 8 - 10 years’ years of progressively responsible related experience in medium IT environments
- Certifications in IT security, networking, virtualization, and/or project management would be considered assets
- Equivalencies may be considered
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.