APEGA Career Opportunity:
Web Publisher & Designer (One-Year Term)
Full-time, Temporary (One-Year Term)
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Digital Content Strategy Manager, the Web Publisher & Designer is responsible for maintaining APEGA’s online content platforms. This includes reviewing submitted content changes and publishing them, designing and adjusting graphics for websites, and regularly reviewing webpages for opportunities for improvement. This position acts as the subject matter expert for the content management systems and platforms used and uses best practices for delivering content through the internet. This position coordinates with other members of the Communications Department to ensure consistent messaging and experience across multiple platforms and points of contact.
- Maintaining the content on APEGA's public-facing websites using the content management system (CMS) of each to ensure the content provided to members and the public is accurate and uses internal and industry best practices.
- Ensuring a consistent look and feel by promoting uniform formatting, images, and layout, and by using appropriate templates to assist content developers.
- Reviewing all content to ensure sensitive and confidential information is not inadvertently published on any of the websites.
- Copyediting all content to ensure accuracy, plain language, and a single voice according to APEGA’s style guide.
- Fixing any formatting or organizational irregularities submitted by internal stakeholders.
- Testing new and updated content in different browsers and mobile devices to ensure users have similar experiences.
- Adhering to and enforcing strict site architecture conventions for naming and organizing media files and pages.
- Testing content to ensure it validates to international standards and protocols, including WC3 and accessibility standards.
- Designing and creating web-appropriate graphics and banners for webpages by intaking web-specific graphic requests from APEGA business units and assessing against existing collateral.
- Coordinating with the Graphic Designer to develop and integrate graphical and multimedia components into the website, including audio and video (as necessary)
- Checking any new designs with both the Digital Content Specialist and Graphic Designer to ensure consistency with branding and campaign templates.
- Coordinating with the Social Media Specialist for any integrated marketing campaigns.
- Optimizing existing and new pages using on-page search engine optimization best practices to improve organic search results by checking images, links, and other page elements for their respective attributes.
- Ensuring URLs are correctly named and constructed for search and adding internal links to new and existing content.
- Suggesting improvements to web page layouts that might improve viewability or accessibility.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence and Teamwork.
- Functional Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, Data Literacy, Digital Marketing, Visual Communication and Writing Skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Advanced experience with CMS platforms, especially Sitefinity, SharePoint, and WordPress.
- Proficiency with the latest standards of HTML and CSS.
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics and UTMs.
- Knowledge of graphical and video requirements for websites (e.g., image resolution, file format, compression ratio)
- A technical diploma (or equivalent experience and training) in web communication or digital media is required.
- 3+ years’ experience working on large websites in a professional capacity
- Experience with copyediting online content.
- Awareness of self-regulating professions and regulatory environments an asset.
- General knowledge of the Personal Information Protection Act an asset.
- This position will work remotely to start and will transition to the APEGA office when appropriate and within government guidelines. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
APEGA’s Vaccination policy and protocol is currently suspended requiring agency contractors and staff to be fully vaccinated and required to show proof of vaccination. This policy and protocol may be reinstated at any time in alignment with public health measures.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to the People Experience Team at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.