APEGA Career Opportunity:
Social Media Specialist
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Marketing & Communications Manager, as the Social Media Specialist, you are our in-house social media expert and will help shape and execute APEGA’s communications strategy.
Using your expert knowledge of social media platforms, you’ll work closely with other members of the Communications team to develop content that supports communication plans and ensure we effectively leverage our social media channels to increase brand awareness and engagement with members, permit holders, and other stakeholders, including the public. You’ll also bring your creativity to bear on creating and adjusting graphics and images for optimal social media performance, sharing insights and trends with the team to continually improve campaigns.
- Developing, updating, and implementing social media strategies and campaigns to support communication initiatives aimed at informing and educating staff, members, permit holders, and other stakeholders.
- Generating, editing, publishing, and sharing relevant, high-quality content that builds meaningful connections and encourages the target audience to take action.
- Optimizing company pages within each platform to increase visibility of APEGA’s social content and overseeing all social media design (e.g., profile images, templates for posts).
- Creating editorial calendars and syndication schedules.
- Monitoring engagement and responding to social media inquiries and comments in a timely fashion.
- Monitoring and moderating all user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community.
- Collaborating with internal clients to provide strategic advice and direction on using social media.
- Collaborating with other members of the Communications team to generate creative content and provide expertise on social media best practices and requirements
- Work with the Graphic Designer to create, update, and optimize campaign-related images and graphics to share on social media platforms.
- Defining social media key performance indicators and measuring and analyzing social media KPIs, insights, and best practices.
- Evaluating success of all social media campaigns and making recommendations for improvement.
- Developing a promotion strategy and promoting content through social advertising
- Identifying social influencers and target audiences.
- Keeping current with industry trends and actively researching and implementing best practices in social media communications.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Core Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, and Teamwork.
- Functional Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, Digital Marketing, Integrated Marketing and Communication, Media and Public Relations and Writing Skills.
- Excellent knowledge of and proven work experience with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Superior knowledge of social media KPIs and best practices, as well as social analytics tools.
- Experience with graphic design principles and familiarity using programs such as Adobe Photoshop or Canva.
- Proven writing and editing skills with a high attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work under pressure, set priorities, and meet tight timelines.
- Strong ability to build professional and productive relationships with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders, including working with diverse groups to engage and develop consensus.
- Strong interest in continual education and development and keeping up with social media trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas with ease and clarity and approach tasks with tact and diplomacy.
- Post-secondary degree in Public Relations, Communications, New Media or Marketing
- 3 - 5 years of related experience.
- Superior knowledge of social media key performance indicators and best practices, as well as use of social media analytics tools.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization best practices.
- Experience in photography and videography is an asset.
- This position will work remotely to start and will transition to the APEGA office when appropriate and within government guidelines. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.