APEGA Career Opportunity:
Professional Practice Review Advisor
Full-time, Permanent (2 open positions)
Competition #22-35 and #22-36
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
The Professional Practice Review Advisor is responsible to evaluate whether APEGA permit holders and their licensed professionals understand and comply with their professional, legal and ethical obligations.
As a professional practice ambassador of APEGA, the incumbent is an advisor to stakeholders including: the Public, APEGA staff, Licensed Professionals, and Permit Holders. Focused on protection of the public and maintaining the public’s trust and confidence in APEGA, the Advisor works with Permit Holders to exercise self-regulation by providing guidance and advice on permit to practice issues as required. The Senior Advisor assists APEGA Staff, Statutory Boards and Committees, and Council on regulatory matters and assure the health of engineering and geoscience practice in Alberta.
In addition, the Professional Practice Review Advisor is a "subject matter expert" on the practice of engineering and geoscience within Alberta and nationally, providing support to the Practice Review Manager, Director, Professional Practice, the Practice Review Board (PRB) and its subcommittees, and to the Practice Standards Committee (PSC) and its sub-committees, to provide updates and professional practice expertise and advice as required.
- Initiate, coordinate, and execute APEGA’s Practice Reviews of Permit Holding companies
- Provide completed practice review reports with recommendations to the Practice Review Board (PRB) for final decision
- Deliver and contribute to the content maintenance of professional practice seminars
- Interact with stakeholders on regulatory requirements, including answering questions by phone or email, meetings, presentations and at professional events
- Support other regulatory functions such as legislative interpretation, licensing, investigations, or enforcement in issues related to the assessment of professional conduct and skilled practice of licensed professionals or permit holders
- Act as a subject matter expert" on the practice of engineering and geoscience within Alberta and nationally, providing support to the Practice Review Manager, Director, Professional Practice, the Practice Review Board (PRB) and its subcommittees, and to the Practice Standards Committee (PSC) and its sub-committees, to provide updates and professional practice expertise and advice as required.
- Manage Practice Reviews of Permit Holders to assess the permit holder and their licensed professionals’ practice alignment with the EGP Act, General Regulations, and APEGA Standards and Guidelines.
- Deliver and contribute to the development of regulatory professional development material that educates licensed professionals and permit holders on regulatory process and professional obligations.
- Provide accurate and consistent advice and information regarding the professional and ethical aspects of the practice of engineering and geoscience
- Provide timely and well researched responses to any questions or inquiries from the Public, Permit Holders or Licensed Professionals on permit holder practice reviews and professional and practice standards and guidelines
- Provide excellent customer service that reflects positively on APEGA
- Provide recommendations, updates and support to the Practice Review Board and its subcommittees to facilitate timely professional practice decisions.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Competencies: Analytical Thinking, Creativity and Innovation, Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Impact and Influence, Information Gathering and Processing, Legislation and Compliance, Results Orientation, and Service Excellence.
- Strong familiarity with engineering and/or geoscience requirements across several industry sectors or disciplines, as well as experience as an authenticating professional, in operations or in consulting.
- Knowledge of audit processes and their limitations
- Knowledge of the principles of self-regulation and the legislated authorities of regulators, especially those related to APEGA (EGP Act, Regulations, By-Laws and APEGA Standards and Guidelines)
- A working knowledge of the responsibilities and duties of other business areas in APEGA
- Familiarity with other legislation that affects APEGA (OHS, PIPA, PIPEDA, FOIP, Alberta Building Code etc.)
- Recognition of other industry codes and standards (ASME, CSA Group etc.).
- Uses influence to develop achievable solutions to complex problems related to the diversity of professional practice and business.
- Able to read situations and people accurately, developing “right-touch” options for practice improvement.
- Ability to identify patterns and red flags for departures from accepted professional practice.
- Understands the organization’s strategy, objectives, and goals and aligns individual effort accordingly.
- Strong ethical compass founded on honesty, integrity, empathy, fairness, dedication, responsibility and accountability.
- Driven and able to independently identify areas that require attention.
- Possesses a strong ability to build professional and productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, knowing how best to influence and enable others.
- Able to manage change and transition, and able to work with diverse groups of people in diverse environments
- Able to execute tasks with tact and subtlety in accordance with the situation.
- Committed to sharing their strengths with teammates at all levels, as well as learning from others.
- Able to manage confidential information appropriately, understanding that professional reputations and credibility are important commodities.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills, adept at identifying win/win solutions. Practical and innovative problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven skills in communicating ideas, providing recommendations, project and process concepts both verbal and written.
- Strong customer service skills that create a positive interaction for all stakeholders
- Professional Engineer or Geoscientist registered with APEGA
- 15 years of broad engineering or geoscience related experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in several industry sectors.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have worked in environments working with legislation, regulations or where policies or rules govern practice apply.
- Experience with data analysis is considered an asset.
- Equivalencies may be considered.
- This position will work a flexible model that includes 50% of the time in office and 50% from their home office. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet. This flexible work model will be reviewed periodically and updated as needed.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
APEGA’s Vaccination policy and protocol is currently suspended requiring agency contractors and staff to be fully vaccinated and required to show proof of vaccination. This policy and protocol may be reinstated at any time in alignment with public health measures.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to the People Experience Team at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.