APEGA Career Opportunity:
Outreach Manager (1 Year Term)
Location: Edmonton or Calgary
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Director of Outreach & Product Services, the Outreach Manager will ensure that APEGA outreach program is effectively and professionally conducted (coaching and mentoring staff, budgets, schedules, and project management). Outreach program includes K-12 outreach, and university outreach (undergraduate and graduate).
The Outreach Manager is responsible for managing the Outreach Coordinator(s) to ensure smooth delivery of the program and its events. This position is also responsible for committee work, purchasing, contract negotiation, metrics, reporting, and budgeting.
- K-12, and University outreach programs
- Be knowledgeable of similar services and programs with regards to K-12 outreach, and university outreach.
- Create and maintain relationships with other provincial outreach providers, educators, K-12 educational institutions, and career centers at post-secondary institutions.
- Be knowledgeable about academic requirements for engineering and geoscience programs offered at Alberta academic institutions
- Liaise with Communications Department regarding event promotional material content, including website content
- Coordination and training of branch volunteers with regards to K-12, and university outreach programming
- Attend K-12 and university outreach events to help oversee event coordination, emcee when necessary, and engage APEGA members and other dignitaries
- Actively coordinate outreach events throughout the province
- Provide input into outreach strategy, helping to ensure member engagement and awareness and programming is inclusive to both engineering, geoscience, and underrepresented groups (such as Indigenous, females, etc.).
- Supervisory tasks
- Supervise activities of all APEGA’s Outreach Coordinator(s), ensuring alignment with APEGA strategy and events are conducted in a professional manner that reflects positively on APEGA
- Ensure Outreach Coordinator(s) have appropriate tools required for smooth event coordination and volunteer management
- Compilation of event and volunteer tracking into comprehensive reports
- Works closely and coordinates with relevant departments within APEGA
- Travels to branch events, as required
- Other duties as assigned
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, Teamwork, Partnering, Decision Making, Ensuring Accountability, Inspiring Others, and Learning and Development.
- Thorough knowledge of educational theories, Alberta K-12 curriculum objectives, and how educational programming and curriculum is designed.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, set priorities, and meet tight timelines.
- Solid managerial and interpersonal skills in dealing and communicating with professionals across diverse functional areas including technical specialists, and senior management and volunteers. Public speaking and presentations are also required.
- Requires a strong ability to build professional and productive relationships with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders, including working with diverse groups to engage and develop consensus.
- Strong curriculum development skills, with the ability to tailor content to audiences from elementary students to adults.
- Working and theoretical understanding of project management practices.
- Requires the demonstrated ability to communicate ideas with ease and clarity, and approach tasks with tact and diplomacy.
- Post-secondary degree in Science, Engineering, Education, Adult Education, or a related field
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in progressively more responsible supervisory roles.
- Prior experience in a professional environment in developing, planning, and executing programs or events.
- Volunteer management experience is considered an asset.
- Budgetary experience is considered a strong asset.
- Equivalencies may be considered.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.