APEGA Career Opportunity:
Executive Assistant to Council
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Senior Advisor & Director, Council Relations, the Executive Assistant to Council is responsible for stewarding the year-long Council Cycle and for providing administrative support to the 19 members of APEGA’s Council and support to the Senior Advisor & Director, Council Relations (SADCR) on a regular basis throughout the Cycle. The position is accountable for coordinating the activities of Council and its Committees throughout the year, which includes meeting management within the requirements of Roberts Rules, administration support of the AGM, meeting and travel logistics coordination, records management, tracking and following up on commitments and action items, addressing internal and external inquiries on a timely basis.
This position may also provide back-up administrative support to Council Relations Coordinator and the Executive Assistant to the Registrar & CEO (RCEO) as required.
- Responsible to steward the Council Cycle and provide administrative support to Council and Committees of Council (Governance, Nominating, Executive, and Strategy & Risk) to ensure Council can effectively execute their obligations under the Engineering
and Geoscience Professions Act by:
- Managing the scheduling, invitations and registration for Council and Committee meetings. This includes internal staff, Council and external guests.
- Coordinating and arranging meeting logistics (catering, room bookings, videoconferencing, seating plans).
- Attending all Council and Committee meetings in-person, which involves travel within Alberta.
- Preparing meeting agendas and packages in collaboration with Committee Chairs.
- Coordinating with internal and external stakeholders to receive, review, approve, and distribute documents and reports to ensure timeliness and accuracy of documentation being provided for Council and Committee meeting packages are within required timelines.
- Creating Committee reports for the Chairs of the Committees.
- Preparing and coordinating approval of minutes for Council and Committees meetings in alignment with Roberts Rules.
- Managing the Council SharePoint site to ensure meeting dates, documents, Council calendar, and all Council related items are accurate, up to date, and easily accessible.
- Administration of commitments and actions coming out of Council and Committee meetings.
- Preparing emails and documents for Council, and Committee as required.
- Responsible for the planning, organizing and coordinating materials for the APEGA Annual General Meeting (AGM) by:
- Preparing and distribution of agenda, script, and presentation materials for the AGM in alignment with Roberts Rules and APEGA’s Regulations and Bylaws.
- Preparing and coordinating the approval of the AGM minutes.
- Providing support to the operational processes of Council Relations, general support to the organization, and back-up executive support for the Executive Assistant to the Registrar & CEO.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity; Fostering Communication; Results Orientation; Service Excellence; Teamwork; Adaptability; Analytical Thinking; Attention to Detail; Planning & Organizing; Problem Solving
- Attention to detail and accuracy is paramount
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think critically and process information to capture key points
- Ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Assertiveness and confidence to seek clarity, request information from others, and ensure time commitments are adhered to
- Initiative to respond to a wide range of inquiries, requests, and issues in a timely fashion
- Post-secondary diploma in a related field
- 3-5 years of senior administrative experience supporting C suite executives or boards in a professional environment.
- Experience will include a high level of independence in managing the day-to-day administration of a senior executive portfolio or board and require the ability to interface with senior level executive roles internal and external to the organization.
- Document management, correspondence preparation, handling and directing inquires and/or committee work including agenda preparation and minute taking.
- Exposure to environments that have legislative or regulatory authorities will be considered an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office, SharePoint and/or various databases or systems is required.
- Equivalencies may be considered.
- This position will work a flexible model that includes 50% of the time in office and 50% from their home office. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet. This flexible work model will be reviewed periodically and updated as needed.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
APEGA’s Vaccination policy and protocol is currently suspended requiring agency contractors and staff to be fully vaccinated and required to show proof of vaccination. This policy and protocol may be reinstated at any time in alignment with public health measures.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to the People Experience Team at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.