APEGA Career Opportunity:
Continuing Professional Development Review Coordinator (18-Month Term)
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Manager, this position is responsible for key components of the section’s CPD Review Program. This includes collection, review, assess and tracking of detailed activity records and supporting documents submitted by licensed professionals. The role is responsible for the initial review of DAR submissions making recommendations on closure or escalation to the subject matter experts related to CPD.
The role is also responsible for tracking licensed professionals required to submit follow up Detailed Activity Record submissions and reviewing their submissions. The role will review follow up submissions and recommend course of action to the CPD Manager (closure, continuance, elevation, or referral to Investigation Division).
- Responsible for ensuring notifications are sent and tracking submission compliance of licensed professionals. The role approves or denies time extensions for Licensed Professionals to submit their documents in accordance with CPD Review Process and precedent.
- Assess submissions to ensure they meet the requirements of a complete submission in accordance with the CPD Program and Review Procedure. The role provides recommendations to cancel Licensed Professionals that fail to provide complete submissions within the required timeline in accordance with Council Cancellation Policy.
- Analyze the Licensed Professionals’ submission to the CPD Program Requirements and the CPD Review Procedure. Provides a recommendation on program compliance and submission compliance with respect to the completeness criteria and the accuracy criteria.
- Analyze the submission for potentially fraudulent activities and recommend a referral to the Investigation department if fraudulent activities are suspected.
- Respond to Practice Review Board (PRB) and Continuing Professional Development Sub Committee inquiries with respect to CPD review recommendations, CPD Review Process and CPD Program Requirements.
- Manage the tracking of the licensed professionals that were required to be monitored or continue submissions as per Practice Review Board findings.
- Assess Licensed professionals’ submissions following initial review requirements and provide a recommendation to the CPD Manager. Review would include evaluating CPD Program Requirements, Completion & Accuracy Criteria as outlined in the CPD Review Procedure.
- Provide support to licensed professionals on their DAR submissions through application of the CPD Program and CPD related legislation.
- Manage Exception process and evaluation for former licensed professionals appealing their cancellation. This includes evaluating the exception request, evaluating the communication efforts made by APEGA and comparing this to historic exception precedents to provide a recommendation to the CPD Manager if an exception should be allowed.
- Convert CPD review criteria and high-level plans into detailed roll out plans. The plan would consider current workloads and project work that would be initiated from the detailed roll out plan.
- Provide summary reports of workloads, projected workloads, plan implementation results to the CPD Manager.
- Compose correspondence issued to licensed professionals.
- Provide direction to the CPD Records Administrator on issuance and receipt of all correspondence and submissions.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Core competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, and Teamwork
- Functional competencies: Analytical thinking, Creativity and Innovation, Information Gathering and Processing, Initiative, and Adaptability
- Thorough understanding of CPD related legislation, CPD Program, Practice Review Board policies and Professional Practice procedures, corporate knowledge and past precedence related to CPD Reviews with APEGA.
- Investigate and problem solve CPD related issues, follow up on missing information, with a high attention to detail around licensed professionals’ DAR submissions.
- Relay information in the CPD review procedure to licensed professionals so they understand their responsibilities and how the process works.
- Apply critical decision-making skills within the guidelines of regulatory governance and resolve conflict with stakeholders
- Influence others through explanation of CPD related legislation and Practice Review Board Policies, with excellent communication, both verbal and written.
- Work with databases, and navigate through these to check information, input information and develop reports.
- Superior interpersonal skills and efficient communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Possess leadership qualities—strong contributor in a collaborative team environment.
- Deliver regulatory objectives whilst maintaining service-focused support to stakeholders.
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma including Microsoft Office Suite, business procedures, and information management from an accredited business college is mandatory.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field alongside work-related experience is a strong asset.
- 4-5 years of progressively responsible administrative experience in a setting providing advice or carrying out administrative processes to support compliance with policies, procedures and acts.
- 2-3 years working in a regulatory environment where legislative functions are enforced—interpreting policy, evidence collection, document compliance requirements, and investigations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook) is required. Aptify experience is an asset.
- Applicants without direct experience in a regulated environment but meet requirements for education and related experience will be considered.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
APEGA’s Vaccination policy and protocol is currently suspended requiring agency contractors and staff to be fully vaccinated and required to show proof of vaccination. This policy and protocol may be reinstated at any time in alignment with public health measures.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to the People Experience Team at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.