APEGA Career Opportunity:
Board of Examiners Administrator
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Board of Examiners Administrator, the Board of Examiners Administrator is responsible for organizing meetings, communicating with the Board of Examiners, preparing statutory board meeting agendas, meeting minutes and decision letters.
The role assists the Chair of the BOE with the facilitation and process of file review during the monthly board meetings. This includes the coordination of the routing of applications to subject matter experts of the Registration Committee (RC) and the communication of an application's outcome to the applicants.
This position responds to and resolves inquiries from staff, applicants and Board Members regarding the application review and the registration process. The role will act in a quality management capacity to help to ensure that the Board of Examiners have completed a thorough review of applications for enrolment or registration.The role helps to ensure that considerations on applications are consistent with legislation, policy and upholding the public’s interests.
- Processing of applications to ensure the review process is as efficient and effective as possible by:
- Routing of files to the appropriate reviewer, Subject Matter Experts (SME) or Registration Executive Committee (REC) member
- Advising SMEs on legislation, policy and procedures for the application evaluation process
- Participation in APEGA staff subcommittees to present Admission's perspective and requirements
- Coordination of workflow for application reviews by Admissions Officers on a weekly basis and ensuring timelines are met.
- Responding to operational questions (e.g. if an SME is having issues with APEGA’s IT system)
- Providing resolution for more information requested (e.g. providing clarification if an applicant has additional experience which may change the consideration on an application)
- Developing and preparing agenda & meeting documents for REC so that monthly statutory board meetings are well organized and efficient by:
- Formatting, editing and consolidation of case note details and supporting documentation for REC meeting agendas
- Ensuring that the REC SharePoint material for meetings is up to date
- Providing clarification and additional information (i.e. input experience information, or scopes for professional licensee) to ensure case notes are prepared in a logical and clear format to ease the complexity of the decision making at the statutory board meetings
- Analyzing and interpreting the recommendations made by Registration Committee (RC) Subject Matter Experts against legislation and policy and formulating the appropriate motion to present to REC
- Preparation of minutes after the REC meeting
- Evaluates applications for low and medium risk files for consent approval by the REC.
- Coordinating with other APEGA departments for on and off-site meetings.
- Providing communications to applicants to provide guidance with their applications as an of act of customer service by:
- Requesting additional information from the applicant to ensure a thorough and fair review.
- Production and dissemination of Board decision letters
- Responding to inquiries from applicants regarding their status, decision letters and questions about their application.
- Escalating concerns from applicants where necessary to Admissions Officers, Admissions Manager or the Director, Registration Operations concerning application requirements, and interpretation of the legislation and BOE Policies
- Registering or enrolling applicants as a member of APEGA as legislated in the EGP Act and Regulations by:
- Reviewing applications for registration as Professional Member (P.Eng. and P.Geo.) under the Interprovincial Mobility Agreement (IPMA) and ensuring that applicants have met the qualifications for registration. The Board of Examiners Administrator is the final and only reviewer for this type of registration.
- Reviewing applications for enrolment as an Engineer-in-Training and ensuring that the applicant has a degree recognized under the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board. The Board of Examiners Administrator is the final and only reviewer for this type of enrolment.
- Entering names into APEGA’s Register based on considerations from the REC, IPMA registration or E.I.T. enrolment. This is an EGP Act requirement and becomes a publicly available under the membership directory
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Ability to apply knowledge of the registration process in assessing completeness of applications
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to problem solve registration issues and follow up on missing information with a high attention to detail
- Ability to relay information in the registration process to applicants so they understand their responsibilities and how the process works.
- Ability to work with databases, and navigate through these to check information, input information and/or to develop reports
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting and independently
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills including word, excel, power point and outlook
- Post-secondary diploma in a related field
- 3-4 years of related experience in customer service in a professional environment explaining processes and/or policies.
- Some exposure to environments that have legislative or regulatory authorities will be considered an asset.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.