APEGA Career Opportunity:
Administrative Assistant, Discipline
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of professional engineers and geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Director, Enforcement, the Administrative Assistant, Discipline is responsible for providing day-to-day administrative support to the Director, Enforcement as well as administrative support for the APEGA Discipline Committee and various Discipline Hearing Panels and Case Managers.
The Administrative Assistant, Discipline is also responsible for the coordination of APEGA Discipline Hearings and Discipline Committee. This includes meeting and/or hearings management, records management, tracking and following up on departmental work and project statuses and receiving and addressing internal and external inquires to maintain open lines of communication for the Enforcement Department.
- Providing administrative support for the APEGA Discipline Committee and various Discipline Hearing Panels, Case Managers, to ensure that the Committees, Panel Members, and Case Managers can function effectively and in alignment with internal procedures, and policies.
- Coordinating Quarterly Committee meetings, including organizing room bookings, meeting location logistics, set-up and take-down, agenda package compilation, and creation of parts as requested, and mail out, updating the Discipline Committee SharePoint with all meeting materials and meeting minutes
- Drafting formal Discipline Hearing documents, obtaining signatures, and ensuring the proper service of documents on all concerned parties
- Communicating with stakeholders such as unrepresented members under investigation, legal counsels, legal assistants, internal departments involved with discipline hearings on the instruction of or via procedures on behalf of the Director and/or the panel members
- Coordinating formal hearings, including organizing room bookings (internal or external venues), meeting location logistics, coordinating court reporter scheduling and providing information they require, providing materials to legal counsels and panel members, set up and take down at hearing, recording and/or tracking exhibits gathered
- Providing assistance to Discipline Committee, hearing panel members, Director, Enforcement and DC legal counsel in coordinating discussions in various formats (in person, video conference, WebEx) as well as recording all editing suggestions of panel members and Director
- Drafting formal and informal information and communication to or on behalf of the Discipline Committee or Discipline Hearing Panel members
- Drafting templates and updating templates of formal documents, and communications
- Maintaining and updating case files (hard and electronic copies) including follow up on outstanding action items, decision and/or documentation and record keeping, tracking and filing
- Maintaining and updating the Discipline Decision section of the APEGA website including communicating with Communications and the Digital Content Specialist to obtain information and updating guidance.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to the Director, Enforcement and the department to ensure departmental processes, projects and communication are consistent and completed in a timely manner
- Support and assist in the continuous improvement of administrative processes or tasks within the Regulatory Division
- Provide administrative support for the APEGA Discipline Committee to ensure that the Committee members have the support they need to function effectively and in alignment with internal procedures, and policies
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Core Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence and Teamwork.
- Functional Competencies: Adaptability, Analytical Thinking, Attention to Detail, Initiative and Legislation and Compliance.
- Demonstrated high proficiency of computer applications and databases including the use of Microsoft Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Aptify, Teams).
- Demonstrated knowledge of the EGP Act and application
- Meeting management, minute taking and records management.
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to function with high degree of independence and confidentiality
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with professionalism.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and practical and innovative problem-solving skills, including problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Post-secondary diploma in a related field (paralegal, enforcement, etc.)
- 2-3 years of administrative and/or paralegal experience in supporting a professional leader in program delivery and experience working with committees/boards/tribunals in a professional environment.
- Exposure to environments that have legislative or regulatory authorities will be considered an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office and/or various databases or systems is required.
- Strong communication and language skills is required.
- Equivalencies may be considered.
How to Apply
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
APEGA’s Vaccination policy and protocol is currently suspended requiring agency contractors and staff to be fully vaccinated and required to show proof of vaccination. This policy and protocol may be reinstated at any time in alignment with public health measures.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to the People Experience Team at [email protected].
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA's people and culture.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.