Speaker Biography & Objectives
Shawn Bakker, M.Sc.
Shawn Bakker is a registered psychologist at Psychometrics Canada and his career is focussed on helping organizations develop effective and innovative assessments of the talents that people bring into the workplace. This work involves the practical application of assessments in succession planning, team building, conflict resolution and personnel selection. He works with a wide variety of clients which include large publicly traded organizations, government agencies, and private enterprises that are focussed on increasing workplace performance of individuals and teams.
In addition to his consulting work, Shawn conducts Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) certification workshops, writes articles on the use of psychometric assessments in the workplace, and speaks at many HR events. He also develops psychometric assessments and is the co-author of the Work Personality Index, Career Values Scale and Career Interest Profiler. Shawn holds a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of Alberta.
Myers Briggs: Mentoring & Work/Family Balance
- Work-family balance is how we priorize between work and the other aspects of our life. Consequences of imbalance include things such as stress, time pressures, work-family interference, and poor relationships. The “ideal” balance between work and family is unique to each individual. Using the MBTI assessment as a framework, we will explore how personality differences impact work and family needs, what you find energizing, and what can be particularly stressful. We will then examine techniques for maintaining work-family balance.
Upon completion of this session, participants will be able to:
• Explain how their personality style impacts their work-family balance
• Identify tasks/activities that they find energizing
• Recognize common stressors
• List several tips to maintain better work-family balance
• Develop strategies to reduce stress and improve work and family relationships